Ruddy Traffic Wardens!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Ruddy Traffic Wardens!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Could have used bit stronger language but since this is public forum I don't want to offend any of you chaps!! :poke:

Story goes, this morning I parked in a disabled car park, got my wheelchair out and went to a shop on the High Street which I knew might very well purchase my old computer. informed them and they were very interested (had it in the car parked about 400 yards away) but they had no-one to help at the time.

As it is on the precinct (no vehicles allowed) they said come back about 16.30hrs when I would be able to off-load the computer at the shop.

I arrived about 16.20hrs there is a sign on the precinct:

They came out and helped me with the computer, I then had to wait due to other customers and until they had processed all my details before being able to leave (left the computer with them so they could check that it runs OK). This took about 20 minutes after which I returned to my car only to find I had been given a ticket!!!

Going to appeal as it was not a shopping or buying trip, it was a pre-arranged agreed time for delivery. I have in the past taken on delivery jobs in vans and sometimes when I used to go to stores in city centres I could be held up just waiting for a signature. In this case I am appealing on the grounds that the warden had stated on the PCN Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours

Although it is £35 if paid within 14 days, I am appealing on the grounds that I was actually delivering my computer at a given pre-arranged time. If I had just gone in to browse round then I would expect to pay, the warden was with my car for 5 minutes and I was parked directly outside the shop. If only I knew!! :wall:

Many years ago when I had a motorbike I parked in a council car park and put the money into the machine then stuck the ticket on the small windshield, when I came back it was gone and in its place was this lovely yellow ticket from the parking warden. Somewhere along the line of leaving the bike some -one had removed my ticket as it was firmly stuck to the windshield so I went to the parking services at the council and told them what happened and that I wish to appeal, they replied, if you pay the fine now then appeal, you will be re-funded if successful.

Now hang on a minute, they must have thought I was stupid!! Said no and walked out. My appeal failed, so I then wrote back and said I will not pay this fine as I had secured the ticket to the bike and therefore could not be responsible for the security of that ticket when I left the bike. So it went to a further appeal and I had in my letter made a suggestion that they have a box whereby bikers could put their parking tickets in with their reg numbers and that could then be checked by the wardens but I also stated that I still will not pay and you would have to take me to court and provide evidence that I had not paid. I got a letter back from the appeal stating that my fine had been removed. Success!! :thumbsup:

OK chaps, no favours, no quarters, over to you as the jury!! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Ruddy Traffic Wardens!!

Post by TobyV »

The only driving penalty/fine I have ever received was a fine for parking in Rugby. It was just before I moved to Switzerland and I wanted to take an old chair to a charity shop. Knowing that I would need to pay to park in the centre at that time and not wanting to carry in from outside the charge zone, I put some coins in my pocket. I normally used to reverse park but after starting that manoeuvre I realised it was silly as I needed to open the hatch to get the chair out - distraction #1. So I turned the car round and drove into the space. As I was unloading the chair, I was further distracted by some people arguing in the car park and forgot to buy a ticket. I took the chair to the charity shop, collected my glasses from the opticians, possibly visited the bank and finally bought a sandwich in M&S. I put my hand in my pocket to get some coins out to pay for the sandwich, and then remembered why they were there. I hurried back to the car as fast as possible, passing a BID ranger on the way who I felt sure was describing me whilst talking into a walkie talkie as I passed him but this could have been paranoia! Sure enough, I had a ticket. £25 if paid within x days or £50 thereafter. I had agreed to sell my car and I was emigrating, but the buyer was a friend/colleague, so I paid up.

In summary, I was probably at fault, although not intentionally, but it does rather sound like you are not at fault. I would challenge it and if you end up with the full fine, we should have a whip round for you!

In the meantime, enjoy these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5d8Gw ... adio=1&t=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gkiw7zpULo

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Ruddy Traffic Wardens!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

:rofl: :rofl: Thanks Toby, that really cheered me up no end!!

Tried to ring the parking authority today but it is just an answerphone and they do not call back. Guess they got fed up with abusive callers.

Have sent off my appeal but will look towards a face to face on this. Will let you chaps know the outcome.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.