Peter may know one of these Pilots!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Peter may know one of these Pilots!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Came across this just by chance and as they flew Trident 3's I have a feeling that Peter may well know them or even had flown with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Z--AjavgA

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Peter may know one of these Pilots!

Post by dfarrow »

Nigel , in case Peter is away , I'll reply .
Bob Owens was on my course at Hamble [ 721] , we joined BEA together on 1st November 1973 . I stuck mostly to Short Haul [ until 2002 ] , whilst Bob went Long Haul much earlier . It's likely Peter flew with him , as I flew with Peter . And indeed Bob and I flew together as BEA/BA flew with 3 pilots . The Flight Engineers on Tridents were with Northeast .
As an aside I did Bob's training 2 years ago for him to renew his light aircraft rating [ SEP ] .
' Bunny Warren ' came over to Short Haul from the ' Dark Side ' [ LH ] to gain his command . Thus unlikely that Peter flew with him .
I certainly did , and it's very probable Bob did as well ; and enjoyed showing him the sights of Short Haul .

Hope this answers your question .

rgds dave f .

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, very many thanks for your reply, interesting account you gave and must have brought back some happy memories.

Regards
Nigel.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

PS , there's a brain cell somewhere that thinks Capt Warren had been a co-pilot on a hijacked VC10 . Probably the one which ended up in Amsterdam . Don't think it was Dawson's Field .

rgds dave f.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, had a quick google of the event and came up with it (see link at bottom and second paragraph). David Warren was actually third pilot on that flight.

http://www.vc10.net/History/Hijackings.html#G-ASGO_1974

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Remember it well. Was working for KLM at Schiphol at the time
Dale
Image Image Image

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Reading your cutting, Nigel reminded me it was a Sunday and I wouldn't have been in work. I think I only worked one weekend all the time I was there. Probably best as we drunk 24 hrs most weekends. Of course it was the same day as the Turkish airlines Dc10 disaster, a totally avoidable accident, following the flight 96 incident
Not sure if Dc10s were grounded, but a few days later an aircraft was in the shed next door to the one we were working in. It was cordend off, I suppose having the cargo doors checked for strengthening mods supposedly fitted to all Dc10 following Aa Flight 96 recommendations
Getting back to the vc10 it remained there for some time. Certainly there after Easter when I returned to take some photos with my new camera I'd bought in Chester on the Easter break. The film was one of those pre paid where you posted off and the photos were posted back,. Stupidly I posted them off while still in Amsterdam and of course never got them back
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

The film was one of those pre paid where you posted off and the photos were posted back,. Stupidly I posted them off while still in Amsterdam and of course never got them back
Now that must have been infuriating, :doh: those pictures would have been very interesting to see! Wonder if they were kept by some-one? :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes Nigel, you could say that :lol: I wonder if, whoever had the digs after I left, had them. My other regret, was turning down the offer of tickets to see the Carpenters, who were in Amsterdam on tour while I was there :doh:
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

WHAAAAT!!!??? You actually turned down the chance of tickets to see the Carpenters????? :doh: :wall: :poke:

One of my favourite songs:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGrLUavvkIA

Regards
Nigel