Transient global amnesia

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Transient global amnesia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi all,
Thought I'd share this with you.
Had a strange experience on Sunday.
Somehow, I found myself hosing a grass fire on our property.
My legs went very weak, and I thought that I mustn't let them collapse.
Pretty much the next thing I recall was being led to an ambulance and riding to Ballarat in it.
Spent until Monday lunchtime in an emergency bed. Had a brain scan and some x-rays.
Transferred to an upstairs ward, where they did various tests.
They decided that I had an episode of TGA. Possibly brought on by the stress and panic of dealing with the fire.
I'll be going back as an outpatient for a brain MRI within a month.
Rather than try to explain, here's a link with details of the condition:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20378531
I can confirm that it's a frightening thing, still shaky on Wednesday afternoon. :worried: :worried: :worried:

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Re: Transient global amnesia

Post by Buggyman »

These things are so sudden, one moment you are going about the daily chores the next you're flat on your back. Similar happened to me 2 years ago with severe Sepsis which meant a week in intensive care.

So take it easy, do what you're told and don't try to rush things - OK?

Take care, hope you are back fighting fit soon.

ATB

Allan

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Allan,
Thank you, kind Sir!
Reassuring to read your message ;) :thumbsup: and boy, do I need some reassurance right now! So much self-doubt.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Glad you are recovered (hopefully). I had a similar experience but different reason in my 30's. Turns out I was waiting in freezing weather to do a thing but my body was overly warm and my head overly cold. Whoosh down I went and woke up in the ambulance on way to hosp. Difference was i went down a flight of concrete steps and split my top lip. Still scarred to this day spoiling my handsomeness some and makes shaving that bit a pain. :wall:
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I can confirm that it's a frightening thing, still shaky on Wednesday afternoon. :worried: :worried: :worried:
Mike, really sorry to hear about your medical episode and hope very much that you will soon feel a lot better. Try not to worry (easy thing to say) especially regarding your MRI Scan, the mind can play havoc with you and all types of imaginations can spring to mind about your condition.

I know mine was different, but years ago I suffered severe pain in the abdomen, went to the doctors and after examining me she called for an ambulance, I could tell by her voice something was not quite right.

Into the operating theatre and when I came round after a six hour operation I was told that my bowel had perforated and they had to remove a mass of about four inches. The surgeon told me they are testing it for cancer!! :worried:

2 days later I received the news.......the perforation was not cancer but had been caused by diverticulitis! What a relief but every time I get a lot of pain it worries me that it has blown a hole in it again!! :lol:

The point of this is that I worried over the 2 days and that can add a lot of stress which you have to avoid so Mike, try not to worry yourself stupid. It may be nothing serious!! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Having ended up in an ambulance and fighting for my life[heart attack] I know the blow to ones immortality. Do what you are told and although it is easy to be told not to worry, you still do, try not to. If you go with the flow it does aid recovery.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Mike, wishing you a very speedy and complete recovery. I had an unexpected ambulance ride back in 2012 late one night in Florida. Spent 2 weeks in hospital there due to diabetic heart failure and kidney disease. Could not wait to get back home and since then everything has been fine, with medications and frequent visits to the doctors after not visiting one for 30 years. Think positive! Mt daughter recalls me singing (off key) "Always look on the bright side of life" in the emergency room.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Mike
Get better - we need you. :)

Speaking of needing.
I need my teeth, but the dentist wants to take some.. :|... Possibly my canine too! :-O

But I told my dentist NO. Absolutely Not! . She's a good dog.. .. Never has accidents in the house.... Fetches the news paper... 8)
:wasntme:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you ALL, Gentlemen. ;)
I'm not sure if this amusing or just plain crazy..... 8) 8)
While I was doing my impression of C3PO undergoing a 100,000 hour service; a pump, wires, tubes and monitors all over me, the folks in the prostate cancer clinic were supposedly told by Emergency that I could not make my 10:20am appointment on 8th April. The clinic typed me a letter saying that as I hadn't made it to the appointment, they had made a new appointment for 10:20am on 8th April :dunno: . In the same mail, they sent another letter telling me that because I'd missed two appointments, I had been discharged from the clinic and would need a new referral to get on the waiting list again.
I rang to tell my story, and was told that they didn't know why the "new" appointment was for the same time as the cancelled one, but that I was discharged, and my only option was to see my GP for a new referral. :wall:
I am now waiting for the "Feedback" office to look into it.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Best wishes Mike :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!