What's up, Sport?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

What's up, Sport?

Post by Airspeed »

Court Rules Caster Semenya Must Take Meds to Lower Testosterone Levels to Compete

The reason? She has an unfair advantage because her testosterone levels are unusually high.
What next - "You have unusually long legs, you'll have to have some cut off to compete" ?
Or maybe "Your basketballers are taller than ours, yours will have to run in channels to make it fair" ?

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: What's up, Sport?

Post by 511Flyer »

This may not be PC, but her body look mannish, she also runs like a man, and she runs faster than any woman can over that distance. Is that unfair to the other competitors? I think it is.

If somebody takes performance enhancing drugs, that's unfair. Her body naturally produces the same effect. Not her fault obviously, but it's not as they say, a level playing field. Or in this case, a level running track.

:dunno:

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

The great Ethiopian distance runners of the past lived in a country high above sea level, hence their bodies performed far better at sea level, was this an unfair advantage?

The woman is unusually gifted, and so is/was every record breaker in history.

Leave the woman alone and let her be brilliant in her selected discipline!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Glad that you agree, Adrian. ;)
Glad that you, too, have an opinion, Den. ;)

On a similar topic, I've been reading Ben Elton's "Identity Crisis".
It's a murder story in a politically correct world: the Policeman considers whether two biological males, identifying as women, and in a relationship, should be looked on as lesbians, while two biological males, identifying as opposite sexes are possibly in a straight relationship. "She" is replaced by "Zie" when referring to a man self-identifying as female. It's actually been educational, as I've had to learn the meaning of "cis."

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I think the people who had to make the decision were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman