Flying to Australia in a tiger moth, for real

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Flying to Australia in a tiger moth, for real

Post by blanston12 »

I have been following the trip of Amanda Harrison, who is trying to fly her Tiger Moth from England to Australia. She is attempting to recreate the flight of Amy Johnson, who was the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia who flew a DH.60 Gipsy Moth in May of 1930.

I learned about it because I have started my own virtual adventure flying a Tiger moth from Melbourne to England (which I will write about later), in planning my trip I was looking for information on Johnson's 1930 flight and found some news articals about Harrison.

She started her flight, leaving Biggin Hill on May 11 and has gotten as far as Rhodes. She experienced a 'Partial engine failure' after take off at Rhodes and had to return to the airport where she is currently waiting for an engineer to arrive with parts so they can repair the engine and hopefully continue the flight.

You can read more about it on her website here:

https://www.amandajharrison.com/home

Personally I think its really cool what she is doing and have even contributed to here gofundme page.
Last edited by blanston12 on 26 May 2019, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Flying to Australia in a tiger moth, for real

Post by Airspeed »

AFAIK, that didn't make the evening TV news here, but then I don't always see it.
Thanks for the HU Joe, I will keep an eye out for updates.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

What an amazing adventure she'll have. B-)

Brian

spot
Trident
Trident

Post by spot »

She is a lovely lady. I did an hour in a tiger with her from Compton Abbas
for my 60 th birthday. I wish her all the luck in the world. 😊

Brian.
Low and slow, the way to go ;)

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

What a wonderful woman. Hope she makes it safely. Maybe she’ll write a book about her flight,hope so. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

WOW!! Now that is a challenging flight, just hope she makes it all the way with very little problems.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Her blog says the problem was a blown cylinder and that the plane is fixed and flying again.

And from the tracking map it looks like she made it to Cyprus.
Joe Cusick,

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

blanston12 wrote:
27 May 2019, 16:10
Her blog says the problem was a blown cylinder and that the plane is fixed and flying again.

And from the tracking map it looks like she made it to Cyprus.
Actually cylinder head, Joe, and yes, she made Cyprus on 28th May.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I see from her site she has made it to Beirut Lebanon. and that her next stop will be Amman Jordan. I find this to be an interesting route, because to get to Jordan she will either have to fly through Syria, where there is an actual war going on, or through Israel, which has a militarized border with Lebanon, also the fact you were just in Israel may not make you very popular in the middle east countries your about to fly through.
Joe Cusick,

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Looks like her flight is at an end. From her press release.
**(Heart) Breaking News** Solo2Darwin
I today announced that the Solo2Darwin Challenge has been forced to pause in Beirut.

I am gutted, but I have to face up to reality. I can’t go forward right now, so I have to be patient and go again as soon as the geo-politics are sorted out. I shall be back!!

Notices to Airman (NOTAMs) issued from the Pakistan, Indian and Oman effectively closes airspace to eastbound flights from Oman to Pakistan and India (below 24,000ft) which is way above mine and GAXAN's maximum flying height.

An additional and presently insuperable problem is that the border between India and Pakistan is closed. This will not open until at least 14th June but there is no firm end in sight to the closure of this airspace.

When Solo2Darwin was planned, none of these restrictions were in place. The specific India/Pakistan border issue occurred in February this year but the airspace was reopened for a short period afterwards. So, we moved forward but the planned end to those restrictions did not take place.

Planning and Technical Support was always aware that certain parts of the world would be challenging but the escalation of problems in this region has been worse than anticipated and government restrictions cannot be ignored.
So many people offered and have given their support in many ways and we will work to complete @ Beirut, Lebanon
She had been in Beirut for a few days and I had assumed she was negotiating her passage through Syria. From what I had been reading crossing the Israeli border is not allowed and in Syria the area around Damascus,is fairly stable so I figured that would be the better route. But the problem was Pakistan not Syria. I figured the shortest flight from Oman direct to India is about 600 nm but I am not sure if that takes you into Pakistani airspace so not sure if that would be allowed, but its academic since that's way beyond the range of a Tiger Moth. Too bad.
Joe Cusick,