A day in the life....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: A day in the life....

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Den, keeping positive. Radiation man said that if I go through with it, I'm pretty much guaranteed cured for life, :) except that I may have permanent bowel & bladder problems. :(

Larry, I know what you mean about whacking nipples. I was carrying one of those huge TV screens which I got for $5; it completely blocked vision of my path. Caught my boot on a sheet of corrugated iron and fell onto the stand; missed the nipple by about 5mm, and boy, did it hurt! I've still got two dark marks nearby, after several months.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

All the best, Mike. Endure whatever you have to, in order to stick with us. Here's to you and your return to fine fettle. :cheers:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Airspeed wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 09:06
Thanks for the earlier good wishes. ;)
Update, 27th June 2019:
Consultation with the radiation therapy doctor today.
Fairly sure that the cancer will have increased since last test in February.
If mid July scans & tests confirm it, we will start planning radiation straight away.
Actual treatment may begin some weeks later: 5 days a week for 7 weeks. :|

Alex, and others.....have you been checked yet?
All my best Mike, hope it all goes well, Hope it does not come to radiation, some of the new drug therapies are much more effective and have less side effects.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Joe,
Do you have any info on the chemotherapy specific name please?

delta_lima
Viscount
Viscount

Post by delta_lima »

So sorry to hear of this news, Mike.

Part of why I’ve been away the last year was cancer striking my family and one of my best friends. The latter, much younger than me.

Not to make it about me, only to say I sympathize with you and your family.

I’ll check on here as frequently as I can, and know you have friends (even if afar) who care.

Cheers

Daniel
Quaere verum - Seek the truth.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Well guys, I saw my family Doc yesterday and he said there was nothing to worry about concerning the lump behind my left nipple as it was a result of the impact damage and it is decreasing in size on a daily basis.

On the other hand he confirmed that there is a problem with my thyroid gland and I now have to wait for an appointment with an endocrinologist in the nearest city (25 miles, 40km away). I have no idea when that will be but I hope it is soon as I am tired of feeling ill every day (well more ill than I usually feel every day with all my other issues!)
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Mike, really sorry to hear your news and apologize for not posting earlier as have been away, do hope that chemotherapy is the last option and they can find alternative ways of treating you. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and wish you all the very best.

Well guys, I saw my family Doc yesterday and he said there was nothing to worry about concerning the lump behind my left nipple as it was a result of the impact damage and it is decreasing in size on a daily basis.

On the other hand he confirmed that there is a problem with my thyroid gland and I now have to wait for an appointment with an endocrinologist in the nearest city (25 miles, 40km away). I have no idea when that will be but I hope it is soon as I am tired of feeling ill every day (well more ill than I usually feel every day with all my other issues!)
That is or should be good news for you Larry, hoping that your thyroid problem is sorted to your best advantage, no fun in feeling ill every day, my wife has Crohn's disease, something she has had for over 40 years and at times she has been in agony through the pain and we went through a lot worrying whether she might have to have part of her bowel removed.

Fortunately that has not been the case but as luck would have it I had part of mine removed due to perforating. Have diverticulitis which was the cause and sometimes the pain gets really bad and I live in fear of having to go through another operation like the one I had (6 hours in the operating theatre) when I get severe pains. So my thoughts are with you and Mike in hoping that you both come out on top.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Airspeed wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 09:15
Thanks Joe,
Do you have any info on the chemotherapy specific name please?
Nothing specific unfortunately. My wife used to work in a cancer research lab at Stanford University and have heard often that 'cancer' is not really a single disease. In my own case my doctors have just detected a melanoma on my arm and are doing lots of tests to see if its spread. My Dr was mentioning that there were a number of newer treatments with much reduced side effects where not that long ago there would have been no treatment. Sometimes they are still in clinical trial but it is possible to get into those trials, but you will have to do your research or push your doctors for alternatives. Good luck my friend.
Joe Cusick,

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Latest:
No cancer in my bones. :)
PSA reading slightly lower. :)
Some irregularities in the scans, so I'm listed for surgical and urological clinics for eyeballing. *-)
Another PSA test in October, then back to the radiation team to review situation.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Airspeed wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 13:09
Latest:
No cancer in my bones. :)
PSA reading slightly lower. :)
Some irregularities in the scans, so I'm listed for surgical and urological clinics for eyeballing. *-)
Another PSA test in October, then back to the radiation team to review situation.
Great news! sounds like your getting good care.

I hope to have good news soon also, my surgery on the melanoma on my arm is scheduled for today, but so far the tests have looked good.
Joe Cusick,