A day in the life....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Re: A day in the life....

Post by Buggyman »

Best wishes Mike, hope all turns out well for you.

Had similar when in my 40's but it turned out to be a benign tumour - even so very scaring at the time.

ATB

Allan

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. ;)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Best wishes Mike.
Dave G.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Wishing you all the best Mike. I am about to go through a whole bunch of scans/tests soon myself for something different but it will be nice to know what's going on so the Doc can maybe prescribe some meds and I can stop feeling ill all the time.
Larry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Gents. ;)

Larry, good wishes for your tests; you keep us posted too, mister.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Best wishes, and good fortune, to you both.
MikeW

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Fingers crossed for you Mike. Sometimes this getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be!
Pete

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the earlier good wishes. ;)
Update, 27th June 2019:
Consultation with the radiation therapy doctor today.
Fairly sure that the cancer will have increased since last test in February.
If mid July scans & tests confirm it, we will start planning radiation straight away.
Actual treatment may begin some weeks later: 5 days a week for 7 weeks. :|

Alex, and others.....have you been checked yet?

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Airspeed wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 09:06
Alex, and others.....have you been checked yet?
I had a prostate exam when I saw a urologist a couple of years ago and he said I had a slightly enlarged prostate but nothing unusual for a man of my age (62 now). The provincial government here (Ontario) has a screening program in place for colon cancer (among other things) and every two years they send out a screening pack which you complete (poop smear samples over 3 days or 3 poops, whichever is the longer). Once completed you drop the sample card into a pre-paid envelope and post it off to the lab. They send you the results in a couple of weeks and I am glad to say mine came back clear a month ago so I am good for two years now.

Get yourselves checked guys, it takes little time and could save your life!

Talking of tests, I mentioned up there ^^^^^ that I had some tests to go through myself and I finally got to have an ultrasound on my thyroid last week and an ultrasound and mammogram on both boobs yesterday. I will hopefully get the results of both tests when I see my family Doc tomorrow.

I am fairly certain that I have hyperthyroidism to go on top of my ME/CFS, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis! I am just hoping I can get some medication to control it because life is pretty miserable right now.

The boobs thing is a case of over caution on my Doc's part I think. Several weeks ago I was doing a complete electronics replacement on one of my electric guitars (new pickups, pots, capacitors, jack, wiring etc.) as I was going from battery powered active pickups to passive style ones. Unfortunately the wiring I was using was old and the insulation had gone hard and my wire strippers were blunt resulting in a situation where I had to use really excessive force to strip the wire and when the insulation finally let go the strippers (and my hand) flew up and I hit myself in the left nipple with a lot of force! The impact area was extremely sore and a fairly large lump came up directly behind the nipple. Over time the lump has gone down to the point where it can be barely felt but the Doc wanted it scanned anyway. He thinks I had the lump before and aggravated it with the injury but I am convinced it is a trauma site cyst as I am prone to trauma site sebaceous cysts if I get a skin pinch or blocked follicle. I guess the moral of this tale is don't be a tight-wad and re-use old wiring and don't use blunt tools! You know it makes sense! ;) :agree:
Larry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I had the finger test two years ago, slightly enlarged prostate but nice and smooth. Because my PSA is up and down like a fiddlers elbow, I've been having 6 monthly blood tests. Very recently it was 5.3 and the urologist decided that he would discharge me, asking my GP to keep an eye on things with an annual blood test.

I was told by the urologist, that if it was possible to check every deceased male in the UK, at least 80% of them would be found to have a level of prostate cancer. Most of them wouldn't even have realised it.

Stay positive Mike, and I hope all goes well for you.

Den.