Farnborough Air Show.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Farnborough Air Show.

Post by 511Flyer »

The public days have been cancelled forthwith. That will clog up the roads in the area even more, with people hoping to catch a glance of the aircraft.

I'm thinking that it's maybe no great loss seeing as there is nothing new really happening in the aircraft industry. It's all been seen before.

My son lives close by in Frimley Green, and has a grandstand view from his garden. I think I'll invite myself for tea.

;)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Farnborough Air Show.

Post by Airspeed »

Cancelling Air Shows! At Farnborough no less!???
What's the World coming to? :dunno:

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I went in 2008 having not been since 1972. I got the feeling then they did not really want the public there. As soon as the show finished the public were kicked out and left without buses to get back to the car parks. Not surprised they have stopped the public day. Too much effort and interferes with the business flights IMHO.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Too much effort and interferes with the business flights IMHO.
I also think that that is correct, aircraft manufacturers be it for civil or military are there solely to show and sell their aircraft and I think that they may very well have voiced opinion that with members of the public coming to view it is too much of a distraction i.e. representatives having to give their precious time to those who only want to view and maybe ask questions but that is all. Not only that but when I went in the 1970's it was damned difficult to get inside an aircraft just to have a look around.

Just had a quick google as to the real reason and this is what I found: Declining popularity, attendances and a move to place a "renewed focus on engaging young people" have been cited as the reasons behind a move to end the biennial event.

What a load of b%ll%cks!!

More here: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hampsh ... n-15926768
Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

So you engage with young people by excluding them? Haven’t read the article but it sounds like so much corporate claptrap Nigel. :doh: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Eric, to save you the bother and also from getting wound up I copy two points raised by the organizers:

1) Removing the public weekend will disappoint some, but for our exhibitors and trade visitors the focus is on business and accessing the talent they need to sustain global competitiveness

and finally:

2) The show in 2018 welcomed around 80,000 visitors, but many picked out the display of the Red Arrows - a brief flypast performance - as a reason behind claiming it was one of the worst shows in recent times.

It is hoped that the move will encourage talented young people to enter careers in the aerospace, defence and space industries. Farnborough International added that the move would enhance the airshow's role "as an inspirational event"

Now how the hell are they going to encourage talented young people to enter careers in aerospace, defence and space industries if they do not allow the public in so that these young talented people are able to speak directly to those who are there representing large aerospace companies.

Sometimes the mind boggles. 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I'd say the main problem is that post Shoreham the restrictions on air shows make it impossible to have the sort of dynamic displays the public expect at Farnborough due to the surrounding built up areas. That would probably have seen the public days declining in popularity so the decision to end them now is just accepting the inevitable.