Back on two wheels

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Back on two wheels

Post by alemaobaiano »

In what might be the dumbest move since the Trojans said "That's a nice horse", I'm back on two wheels, courtesy of a Suzuki GS500E :help:

OK, it's not the latest and greatest superbike out there, but it does have a number of advantages, like it was cheap, simple to work on, and the local scrotes don't knick them.

Being on two wheels isn't much in itself, I've been riding bikes since I was 17 and I turn 60 in a couple of months, but my late wife was always against having one here and obviously I respected her point of view. It's now been 18 months since she passed away and for some reason getting a bike seemed like the right thing to do now, even if it does feel a little rebellious. I was dreading telling the mother in law as she knew of my wife's view on the subject, but surprisingly she thinks it's a great idea. I suspect her therapist had a hand in that, something about accepting the loss of my wife and moving on.

Anyway, today is a holiday here, the sun is coming out and the tank is full :excited:

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Back on two wheels

Post by Nigel H-J »

but my late wife was always against having one here and obviously I respected her point of view.
I imagine it is hard going against her wishes even though she has passed away but the sub-conscience kicks in and there must be a feeling somewhere that you are going against her wishes however, you have left it for 18 months and should now start to enjoy the things that you miss and this appears to be one form of re-living your younger years so hope that you have many happy miles on 2 wheels! :thumbsup:

Funny though I always thought when younger they were too much of a risk to ride but when a bit older I bought one as an alternative to having a second car. (my wife had a part time job and needed transport) so started out with a Honda 125cc due to new laws regarding learning on a motorcycle, I had thought of buying a 250cc with a side-car but ditched that idea. Took myu part one test then into the driving test passing both. After a few years I decided to upgrade to a Honda VT550cc favourite motor bike of courier riders.

I liked it for the comfort and handling riding down to London on a couple of occasions, one thing I did notice with motorbikes was that riding along at 60 or 70 on duel carriageways or motorways you do not get any impression of speed as in a car.

Now nearing 68 but feeling (in my mind) much younger would love to have one last ride but wife will not hear of it. :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Nice ride up the horseshoe pass yesterday afternoon
First time I've had the good wife on the back of the bike for probably 3 years
I keep getting comments like "Why don't you sell the bloody thing, you never use it". But won't get rid as it will be the last bike I'll probably have
Its a ZZR1400 for the less motorcycle savvy :rock:

Image Image Image

delta_lima
Viscount
Viscount

Post by delta_lima »

Nice bike shots, all!

OP, I wish you the best in your healing. Hard to imagine.

Looks like a few of us ride. I recall DaveB and I teasing each other about our respective bike choices. I always remember thinking - “here’s a fellow I can’t wait to ride with if ever I get the chance... :'(

I went through a raft of Japanese sport bikes whilst in the army, and now ride dual sport / adventure machines. Shy of flying, motorcycling has to be the most enjoyable form of locomotion.

Ride on and safely, my friends!

Daniel
Quaere verum - Seek the truth.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Yes, you fine fellows, enjoy your riding, and do take care. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Airspeed on 10 Jul 2019, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes Dave was well into his motorbikes wasn't he🏍️
I remember him coming over to pick up some R/c bits I had for grabs. He was well impressed with the ZZR
Dale
Image Image Image