Real World Antonovs at Liverpool

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Real World Antonovs at Liverpool

Post by cstorey »

The last 6 weeks or so has seen almost daily arrivals of Antonov 12 aircraft belonging to 2 Ukraine operators , CAVOK and Ukraine Air Services. These usually come from Tangier , or Vittoria in Spain , and depart after a crew rest period , usually to Gothenburg. Does anyone have any idea what they might be carrying, and for whom ? They are instantly recognisable by the booming noise and the 4 smoke trails they leave !

RJP
Comet
Comet

Re: Real World Antonovs at Liverpool

Post by RJP »

Liverpool & Gothenburg would suggest car-parts, for Ford I believe.
Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Ah, gone are the days of "agricultural implements" then? ;)
Pete

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Hmmm...

Agricultural implements vs Ford.

It's hard to see where one ends and the other begins to be honest!

The same goes for agricultural implements vs Harley Davidson.

I rode bikes for 19 years straight in the UK but I've always considered Hogs to be two wheeled tractors and my opinions haven't changed after 26 years living on this side of the pond. Actually 'hog' is a good term for them because they certainly handle like pigs around any curves!
Last edited by Tako_Kichi on 15 Aug 2019, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Larry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

I'm sure you're right, Larry but I have to confess I've never been on a motorbike in my life.

The "agricultural implements" I was referring to was the standard euphemism for illicit arms shipments - packing cases full of guns were - allegedly - often so marked.

I actually had it said to me once. Back in the 70s, Cubana used to run an IL18 (I think - it was a long time ago) flight from Eastern Europe - Prague possibly- to Havana with a refuelling stop at Shannon. The beggars hardly ever had a working transponder and I said to one one day, "Do you carry transponder?" to receive the reply in a strong Eastern European rather than Spanish accent, "Negative. Agricultural implements". I couldn't believe someone had really said it which is why I still remember 40 years later.

Pete
Last edited by PeteP on 14 Aug 2019, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 15:29
Actually 'hog' is a good term for them because they certainly handle like pigs around any curves!
Yes awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_Ik7dwu6M
Alex

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Ahh but what we have in that video Alex is a highly trained, professional, police rider, on a highly modified police Harley (higher performance engine, more ground clearance, upgraded suspension). I would expect nothing else from someone who has hundreds of hours of practice riding that same (or similar) course day after day. That video looked like it was from a riding competition so only the very best would be competing.

Put a regular Joe Blow in there on a regular street Harley and the outcome would be very different! 8)
Larry

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

I was watching to see the rider put a foot down but he never did (presumably that would be a fail in the competition). He certainly manoeuvred that monster very well.

The longer it went on the more and more he seemed to be using the machine's size to assist and I was reminded of that bloke who did aerobatics in an Aero Commander and how he used "energy management". A bit of googling found Bob Hoover of course and here he is in action.

I often do some of those wackier things in whatever I happen to be flying. I suspect that Mr. Hoover though, intended to :lol:

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant: