Two years.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Two years.

Post by Paul K »

There was a photo of him refuelling the Vanguard, ready for an engine run. It was very amusing, because from the expression on his face it looked like he'd been caught siphoning fuel out for his motorbike. Someone must have that picture..?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Remembering Dave and the others we have lost from this forum, in addition to the list mentioned above, all of whom I knew and chatted to, I believe the first was a gent called Ivor possibly with the handle "panshanger" who had previously served in the first Iraq war.

Although I probably fire up flightsim about once a year these days, I still like to come on here occasionally, but it's never quite been the same without Dave :(

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yes Toby, the name Panshangar, or something similar, does ring a bell.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Avantgardaclue .. spelling? ...Sean was his name he was the third pilot for venture Hawaii. Leif one, me #2 flying the first leg.
I chatted with him on Skype a number of times. We learned about muliplayer in fs9 together He retired from the service and moved to the US and was settling in. Then nothing
After not hearing from sean for some time Garry told me he had suffered a serious health emergency and went back to the UK.. After some years passed we assumed the worst. sean was a good'n.
Now where is Jon. He hasn't been on for awhile.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I've got to know lots people on here, but the only one I ever met in person was Dave B. I live a couple of miles from Brooklands, and met Dave at his baby Vanguard/Merchantman several times.

We sat in the cockpit drinking tea, and listening to the radio which was tuned in to Heathrow tower. Dave was a big fan of Eric Clapton, who was born and raised just down the road in Ripley, and we spoke often of him.

As he was on here, is how I found him to be in life. A really lovely guy.

Den.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

I can only echo the comments of those before me. All of these now missing names are a sad loss to the community. They are all fondly remembered.

For me particularly Leif was a close friend who I miss dearly.

Fly high to all we've lost.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Unlike some, I can’t claim to have met any of our late friends but that doesn’t diminish the sense of loss to this site. :agree:
ps I did very briefly see DaveB in his motor cycle kit at Coventry in 2006.RIP to all our departed friends..EricT.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Eric, although it was 13 years ago I was at Coventry then, I'm sure we must have met as I was with Dave, Ben who arrived a little late as well as Derek of Dove fame. Speaking of which has any-one heard from Derek recently as he has not been around for a while.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Nigel I must have been talking a load of cobblers in my post. I recall now that it was there that I met Ben and Derek. In fact I’d just had a flight in the Dove and asking the pilot (John Corley I think) for a look at the flight deck because I had the sim of the Dove, when the guy behind me said he was the one created it. Of course that was Derek.Yes 13 years ago! :doh: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Yep, that was when I was there, I took a much later flight as everyone had bagged the seats so had to wait. Spoke to John Corley just before start up as was sat at the front on the right hand side and asked him about the weight of the controls and he very kindly let me try the elevators, my first thought was how heavy they felt.

Incidentally John Corley sometimes taxis the Lancaster Just Jane at East Kirkby, scroll down to about 10 names and there is a write up of him.

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/p ... d-crew.htm

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.