Flugplatz Fest St.Stephan 2019 (photos)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Flugplatz Fest St.Stephan 2019 (photos)

Post by FlyTexas »

Beautiful photos, Toby! :welldone: Thanks very much for sharing them. :)

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Sorry about the delay in responding, Toby.
Pity that you only got a handful out of 500! (I thought that was just me.)
That certainly is picturesque scenery. :) We do have our own stunning natural wonders, but we only see that sort of thing on model railway layouts.
Thanks for sharing, great work!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

When I used to shoot on film, you had a finite (and relatively small) number of pics you could take on a given day and they had a certain cost and delay associated with them. With digital you become lazy, especially if you have a large flash card but you pay for it in poring over (very slowly because RAW images don't load quickly) loads of pics to find the good ones. I would say for an airshow, typicaly about 10% of them are acceptable. This year I was a bit out of practice (actually my first airshow of the year) and the weather wasn't favourable, hence a large number of below-par photos!

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Toby , lovely shots , thanks for posting .
You've even got our Compton Abbas based Tiger ..N6466 . aka G-ANKZ . The French insisted that she be applied with temporary civil reg whilst passing through France .
That's with her being an ex French machine , and with the official waiver to wear RAF colours . Only let out was if she was displaying in France [ not ] .
I heard there were 13 Tigers . Enough for the '' Tiger Nine / Diamond Nine '' plus spares .
Very strong rumour that the biggest glitch was somewhere in Swiss [ Deutch ? ] land ATC '' insisted '' in Germanic style that they land on hard runway , instead of the requested grass ..................... 6/13 ground looped [ including N6466 ] ! Luckily [ but not for that crew ] only 1 sustained damage .

rgds dave f .

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Interesting! I heard some of the guys talking, but I didn't get a chance to speak to any of the pilots myself, so I wasn't sure where they had come from. I did overhear their route and how many stops they made along the way. They must have taken off in pretty bad weather, but curiously, as soon as I got about 1/2mi north of the north end of the runway, the rain magically stopped!

Someone I know ground looped a Stearman once. I think landing taildraggers isn't such an easy business!