Serviceman Stole Grumman Tracker Plane 1964.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Serviceman Stole Grumman Tracker Plane 1964.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Whilst it is quiet, thought I would post the following report from the BBC about a Dutch Man who stole a Grumman Tracker Plane to get out of the Navy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49773399

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Serviceman Stole Grumman Tracker Plane 1964.

Post by Vc Ten »

Good story Nigel :thumbsup:
Dale
Image Image Image

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Interesting story indeed. Coincidentally I've just read an account in Spitfire by John Nichol about an engineer who made off with a Spitfire to rescue a stranded pilot. Apparently he'd previously only had a couple of hours tuition in an unnamed biplane, but somehow managed to successfully take off, navigate and land the Spitfire on the first attempt. I know he must have had an intimate knowledge of the working systems and procedures of the aircraft, but I'm a little dubious of how he could have instantly acquired the skills to fly the thing with virtually no previous flying experience! I broke a prop on take off in my Hurricane the other day in Cliffs of Dover, and I've been 'flying' them for years! 8)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I know he must have had an intimate knowledge of the working systems and procedures of the aircraft, but I'm a little dubious of how he could have instantly acquired the skills to fly the thing with virtually no previous flying experience! I broke a prop on take off in my Hurricane the other day in Cliffs of Dover, and I've been 'flying' them for years! 8)

Have not heard of that story, wonder what became of him when he returned to base? I have bent the prop numerous times but more so on the Spitfire when landing with nearly half of my wing shot away! :lol: Have not flown with TWC for some time as having problems sitting for long in the chair with my back (spinal problems) so very much out of practice.

Regards
Nigel.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Thanks for that Nigel. A truly fascinating story.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

An engineer who made off with a Spitfire to rescue a stranded pilot. Apparently he'd previously only had a couple of hours tuition in an unnamed biplane, but somehow managed to successfully take off, navigate and land the Spitfire on the first attempt.

Found the story about the airman who flew the Spitfire: https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=111118

Should have got a medal!!

Regards
Nigel.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Just think of the ATA Pilots...alright they received basic & advanced tuition, Tigers, Maggies & Harvards, but like a lot of RAF pilots too there were no
2 seat Spits, Hurries, Hellcats, Corsairs...... My father said that they gave you the book (ATA Pilots Notes which are very basic) & if you were wise you found an aircraft of the type you were going to fly & sat in it to learn where all the knobs & switches were. One could fly say a Tiger in the morning to somewhere & return in a Griffon Spit, or a Barracuda. He flew 34 different types (including different marks) mainly single engine stuff but quite a lot of Anson & Oxfords picking up Ferry pilots from wherever. IIRC he amassed 1000 hours from Jan 1944 to Sept1945.
I do suspect though that a ground servicing engineer could easily fly the relatively simple types.
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Keith, interesting about your father, those ATA Pilots' were to me, one of the unsung heroes as many did not even have training of flying in clouds, at least that is what one ex-ATA pilot had said in an interview on TV. To report in the flight hut and find one day it is a Hurricane then the next day it could be a Lancaster, at least they carried an engineer!

Did your father continue to fly after the war?

Regards
Nigel.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Yes, my first flight with him was in a Tiger from Fairoaks in August '46 I'd be 8 years old. In 1949 he bought a Proctor G-AHNA & kept & maintained it for 18 years, next owner tipped it over in a ploughed field 18 months later - broke my fathers heart. And yes I did make a FS9/FSX model of her - possibly still over in Flightsim.
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the reply Keith, can sympathise with you father on learning that his once pride and joy ended up badly.

Regards
Nigel.