Steamship Documentary "Down In The Engine Room"

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Steamship Documentary "Down In The Engine Room"

Post by FlyTexas »

An interesting tour of the engine room on the Steamship Shieldhall. After watching this I should now be able to have an intelligent engine room conversation with PaulK. :lol: https://youtu.be/wBEOSAI2je8

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Steamship Documentary "Down In The Engine Room"

Post by Paul K »

An intelligent conversation with me ? I’m not quite sure that’s possible, Brian. I’m away from base at the moment, so I’ll have a look on Friday evening. It might be the one I’ve seen, but will check.
:)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Just had a watch, Brian. and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hadn't seen it before. It's remarkable that she's the biggest British-built steamship still working, and shows just how quickly steam propulsion has become obsolete, at least in commercial shipping. She is old technology, even for 1955 when she came into service, what with triple expansion engines, Scotch boilers and steam steering engines - never came across any of that when I was at sea, though we had steam reciprocating auxiliaries on my older ships. Those pre-sailing checks brought back some memories. The only thing that puzzled me in the video was at 30:48 where the starboard engine is running, but the telegraph is still at 'Finished with engines'. :lol:

What a great day out too - a trip on a steam ship, then the Red Arrows overhead, and fireworks to finish off with. Lovely stuff - thanks for posting. :)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Glad you liked it, Paul. :)

Brian