Check for Hacker

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Check for Hacker

Post by simondix »

A couple of times this last fortnight when I have replied to Birthday posts there has been a hacking/phishing sign come up telling me my IP address has been blacked and follow link. Of course I have not followed it. Itg only happens on those posts and this site. Run my AVG to check it is me and I am all clear. People just be careful.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Check for Hacker

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Simon,

Can you take a screenshot of what you see please. I can’t think of what it could be, but there is functionality in the forum to flag people that are posting from IP addresses which have been suspicious.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

In that case it may be I use a VPN blocker for banking etc so it may be that. However it is on at the moment so it just seems intermittent. I will take a screenie next time it appears. Thanks for getting back.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

This is a topic which I've posted two or three times.
The blocker is Spamhaus. They tell us that they are upholding the quality of transmissions on the web, and my/your IP has been blacklisted.
I contacted my provider, who would not confirm or deny Spamhaus' integrity :wall:
The support person just said that they checked with the technical people, who told me to turn the modem off for 5 minutes. Without being helpful, it did actually work.
Here's the screen shot:

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Yes that is what I get. Thanks for that. I will turn off my modem tonight and see if that works.
Simon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes, spamhaus is a legitimate organisation who monitor spam distribution networks and bots. If the IP address of someone posting is on the blacklist, it will prevent you posting by design.

IP address can end up on the list for a number of reasons. It could be the the address had be used by someone else on the same ISP who was up to no good and it’s now reallocated to you. It could be that your machine, or a device on your home network has been hijacked by a bot and is unbeknown to you, spamming from that device. One of the largest bot nets hijacked printers. It doesn’t have to be a PC, it could be any compromised device on your network. Switching your router off for an hour and back on again usually changes the IP address and will mean you are no longer connected from a blocked IP address.

Hope that all makes sense.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Yes thanks for that.
Simon