Antwerp by Fokker 50, attempt 2 (successful!)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Antwerp by Fokker 50, attempt 2 (successful!)

Post by Charlie Bravo »

TobyV wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 21:07
I think we read the same article in De Tijd by the sounds of it! Be careful who you go into business with is the moral of the story there I think.

I'm hoping this is here to stay. The second most popular route was to Zürich, so I wouldn't be at all averse to them reacquiring a second Fokker and restarting that one too. Question is what on earth should replace the Fokker and for me, it's a large chunk of the appeal!
That's the one and what an article it was!

I'm sure I remember reading that VLM said the airframes had quite a bit of life left in them yet but spares must be getting harder to come by these days.
If and when it does get replaced, I fear it'll be with an ATR42. I hated dispatching those and flying in one wasn't much fun either.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

There was a rumour already last year that had VLM stayed in business, they were planning to replace the Fokkers with ATRs. I've seen another wildcard suggestion of a "new" Do328s. Nothing has the character and the "regional connection" to the Dutch/Flemish speaking areas that the Fokkers do. Still as you say, spares will become increasingly difficult to come by and in the end, it's a commercial operation aimed at serious travellers, not an operation for aviation enthusiasts!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Turning Finals London City Airport

Thanks Toby, another great paintscheme for my fleet. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Excellent Nigel. Actually I was quite pleased whren the pilot announced at the beginning of my flight the other day that there was a "strong easterly wind" at LCY, because I knew that meant approaching over Docklands.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Toby, my goodness the docklands.............When driving heavy goods in the 1970's I had a 20 ton delivery in the White Elephant area then after making a call to my depot I was told to go to Dagenham Docks for a 20 ton load of paper for the Lincolnshire Echo.

Now dockworkers in the 70's always worked to the book and when I arrived at 1600hrs was told I had to come back in the morning. :wall:

Found a truck stop nearby and got to the main gates at 08.00hrs the next day, there were only 2 artics in front of mine but it was 16.00hrs when I finally got away. :doh: Whilst there waiting one driver's foot somehow became trapped in-between the wooden panels (floor) of the trailer and Chinese Whispers came into play as the fire service turned up with four engines and heavy lifting tackle, they got the call that the driver was pinned under the trailer but we managed to free him before they arrived. Always knew that when I had a collection from the docks it would always entail a looooooong wait!!

Oh, happy days!!

Regards
Nigel.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Nigel - I guess that's all gone now, replaced by the suits at JP Morgan, CityGroup, HSBC and Barclays!

In the original post, I threatened to post some holiday snaps, here they are, plus all the aeroplane ones I mostly spared my FB friends from having to look through, but will hopefully interest you all.

Zürich and the lake of Zürich

Swiss Alps

Antwerp

Ghent

Antwerp Airport

Air Antwerp Fokker 50 OO-VLS

Antwerp Airport

Antwerp

Arrival at London City Airport

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Brilliant work Toby, you've got a real talent there :thumbsup:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Wow! Beautiful!! :)

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great video, and very interesting photos here. Look at that architecture! You really do post some good stuff, Toby. :cheers:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brilliant photographs Tony and really like the night scene of Antwerp. Picture postcard quality! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.