Final Flight?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Final Flight?

Post by paulsl »

Hello,

I saw this story about G-CIVG's "final" flight. Googling hasn't helped. Is St. Athan now a scrapping facility? The majority of Qantas' old 747s go to a desert in America.

I'll be spending Christmas week in Wales, might go and have a look if it's worth it.

Thanks, Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Final Flight?

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the link, Paul.
The 777X sounds like a good move, but while the GE engines are far more powerful and fuel efficient than those in 747s, they've had some problems with compressors. They think it was compressor failure that caused the recent fire in a PAL engine on take off from LA.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Airspeed wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 01:27
Thanks for the link, Paul.
The 777X sounds like a good move, but while the GE engines are far more powerful and fuel efficient than those in 747s, they've had some problems with compressors. They think it was compressor failure that caused the recent fire in a PAL engine on take off from LA.
It wasn't a fire at all, but just surging which caused the characteristic gouts of flame from the jetpipe at regular intervals . However, GE have had quite a number of failures on the GE90, and RR also have their troubles on the Trent - being right at the extreme of technology is not always a good thing !

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

paulsl wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 23:40
Hello,

I saw this story about G-CIVG's "final" flight. Googling hasn't helped. Is St. Athan now a scrapping facility? The majority of Qantas' old 747s go to a desert in America.

I'll be spending Christmas week in Wales, might go and have a look if it's worth it.

Thanks, Paul
Yes, pretty much, e-cube are the company.

As far as the rest of the site goes, Horizon Aviation, and Bruce Dickinson's company Cardiff Aviation, are the aircraft maintenance companies. The big 'super hangar' was given to Aston Martin to make cars in. Bristow Helicopters have a new hangar for coastguard rescue chopper base.

South Wales Air Museum, run by Garry Spoors,on the north site aka Picketston, or more trendily now "St Athan business park" is worth a visit, £5 for adults, kids free. Opens on weekends.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Thanks Pete. Sounds worth a visit, especially as I'll have my brother in law with me and he's partial to the odd aviation museum...... even if he should be in one! :doh: :hide:
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant: