Anyone understand Train Sims ?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Anyone understand Train Sims ?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have you tried the forums on Dovetail Games?
Will give that a try and see if anyone can help , ound out how to access the 64 bit platform but even after having tweaked my graphics card this is still what I get, looks like a game from 1997. Just feel so frustrated!! :wall:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Hi Nigel

That interface looks different to mine, is that Train Simulator 2020?

I have Train Sim World 2020, which has a better graphics engine apparently, so what works on mine probably isn't much use to you.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

alemaobaiano wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 18:16
Hi Nigel

That interface looks different to mine, is that Train Simulator 2020?

I have Train Sim World 2020, which has a better graphics engine apparently, so what works on mine probably isn't much use to you.

TTFN
I haven't purchased yet, but when I do it'll be TSW 2020 rather than TS 2020 for just this reason. My impression is graphics wise TS is yesterday's technology and TSW is the future.

I'm starting to feel this topic could be a rich vein... perhaps the admins would consider a sub-thread thingy for Brit flight simmers also interested in Brit train sims? I propose the names "Trains 'n' Planes" ;)

Andy F

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just an update, found what was wrong with the blurry vision I was getting and that was due to depth of field setting. Once I switched that off it was OK, could see clearly apart from constant shimmering of the scenery which I cannot seem to eliminate for some reason.

I wonder whether Steam would allow me to change over to Train Sim World? Or by using it they may not? *-)

Just wish there was a try before you buy like X-Plane 11 or even P3D whereby you can obtain a refund during a certain period. Not really happy with this version though drove the one line and missed stopping at one station!! :doh: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi chaps, having looked at Steam refund policy I have sent them a message requesting one, although the limit is 14 days or 2 hours of game play and I had used 3 hours I have explained to them that most of the time was spent trying to adjust the graphics and the game itself suffers from constant shimmering, nothing like the videos on YouTube I had viewed prior to purchasing.

Now waiting to see if my request is accepted, if it is then I will purchase the Train Sim World 2020 version as really like this game but need some advice hence my post.

Which version are you all running? There are 2 versions of Train Sim World 2020 and one of them is a digital version so really need to know what the difference between those are. Does the digital version mean a better engine and graphics than the other?

All very confusing but just don't want to end up like I have done again with a game that is graphically unplayable.

Even though I was running the game as a 64 bit application I could not find a way round the shimmering and poor graphics.

My main specs are:
Intel i7-900K
NVidia 2070 Graphics Card
32GB RAM

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well chaps, I took a deep breath and went for World Train Sim 2020 hoping that it would not be a repeat of the previous game.

Something like 18GB download and started the game and what a difference.

Stll got a few graphic settings in NVidia to do but the game has me hooked...........Now who can I blame for this........alemaobaiano of course :poke: Well it has to be some-one and you are the likely candidate! :lol:

Just one question, how do I unlock the doors without having to get in and out of the ruddy cab? cannot find a door release anywhere though the exercise will do me good.

Unfortunately after a few glasses of whiskey I ran past 2 stations leaving the passengers on the platform fuming no doubt (like something out of On The Buses with Reg Varney) :lol:

Really hooked on it.

Had an email from Steam and they will not refund me as I had used the other game for 3hrs 19 minutes but as I explained in my letter to them a lot was taken up on trying to sort out the graphics so I have now lost £14 which could have gone on an add-on. Never one to give up very tempted to write to Dovetail Games and see if they can offer any advice as to regards the graphics issue but having this latest version I no longer want to use TS2020 as it is very much an older version suitable for older computers. :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I took the plunge and got TSW 2020 (Digital Deluxe, as I spent some time living and working in the Bay Area, so wanted Caltrain).

I also bought the West Somerset railway. I'd previously bought an unrelated game on Steam as an Xmas gift for a friend and to my surprise these combined to give me enough "Festivity Tokens" (>5000) to get a ~£3.50 reduction on another item before 2nd Jan, so I took the plunge with the BR Heavy Freight Pack too (I'd previously decided to hold off until it was more than just 30% off in a future sale)! I recommend other buyers to check their Tokens (seems be more evident via a browser rather than the mobile app) in case they can also get a discount before 2nd Jan.

I've only spent ~30 minutes in the sim, but so far I'm very impressed indeed. The fact this sim uses Unreal Engine really pays off... the resulting graphics are stunning.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Just one question, how do I unlock the doors without having to get in and out of the ruddy cab? cannot find a door release anywhere though the exercise will do me good.
Press Tab and the door control pops up, lock and unlock from there. The 377 in the Eastbourne/Brighton add-on has door controls on the panel, but with the older stuff you'll need to use the Tab option.

:hide:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Press Tab and the door control pops up, lock and unlock from there. The 377 in the Eastbourne/Brighton add-on has door controls on the panel, but with the older stuff you'll need to use the Tab option.

:hide:
Yep! I found it a few days ago by accident, must get down to :rtfm: :lol:
I took the plunge and got TSW 2020 (Digital Deluxe, as I spent some time living and working in the Bay Area, so wanted Caltrain).
I've only spent ~30 minutes in the sim, but so far I'm very impressed indeed. The fact this sim uses Unreal Engine really pays off... the resulting graphics are stunning.
That is what I also purchased after making a mistake with TS2020, cannot get enough of it to be honest and where I get the most satisfaction is being able to reduce speed from 90mph and make a very smooth halt at a station right on the marker. One of my favourite trains is where you have to use the gears (the milk train) as pictured above, the internal graphics are brilliant.

Just wonder if the Unreal Engine is used in X-Plane 11 would give better graphics but not being a computer nerd hence the need to ask! *-)

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

BTW, just found a good link showing how to improve visual quality of TSW 2020, I have certainly noticed an improvement.

Scroll down the thread until reaching How to Make TSW Look Better.

There was one setting and I think it was this one, *-) r.MipMapLODBias=-3 that made my instruments in cab blurry so you may need to adjust the setting from 3 to a lower value.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/530070/d ... 384080254/

Late Edit: I have always run sims on my monitor default setting 1920X1080 but just tried in-game 3840X2160 with modified settings and coupled with the higher in-game resolution it has really blown my mind.

Regards
Nigel.