Anyone understand Train Sims ?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Anyone understand Train Sims ?

Post by alemaobaiano »

For some as yet inexplicable reason I am finding myself drawn to train simulators, despite the fact that I know nothing about them. Must be an age thing......

Does anyone know anything about them? Depending on what happens in the Black Friday/Christmas sales I am thinking of Train Simulator 2020 along with Class 40 locomotive add on to get started. I'm really only interested in the UK network, diesels onward, at least for now. There are some other add ons that interest me but many of them come with the following note:
Note: Some of the scenarios included with Voyager Advanced 2019 require additional payware items to allow them to run correctly. See the SCENARIOS section in the Detailed Description for full details.
Does that mean what I think it does, that one add on depends on another for full functionality? Doesn't that put the cost way up there? The Class 40 mentioned above doesn't have this restriction but a lot of others do.

Thanks in advance for any info

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Anyone understand Train Sims ?

Post by spatialpro »

I am also drawn to Train Sims, despite having little interest in them IRL! I don't own a train sim, but am tempted every time the sales come around. One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't buy the regular Train Sim, I'd either buy Train Sim World (TSW) or Trainz, simply based on the new graphics. TSW was on sale a while back and Trainz is currently in the Steam sale. Just my 2p.

I have a feeling DaveG is also into train sims??

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Nope, not me. :lol:
Dave G.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Apologies for the mistaken ID Dave... it is someone who inhabits these parts tho...

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

For a freebie then try Openbve;

https://openbve-project.net/

Nev

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Thanks Nev

Given the total lack of Black Friday sales for the products I'm interested in I'll be giving the freeware version a go.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

I too have a guilty secret interest in trains! Aircraft are my passion, but occasionally I like to take a break and be in control of a completely different form of transport.
I've had Doevetail's Train Sim installed for the last two or three years and I dip into it occasionally as the mood takes me. My preferred setup would be a UK route driving an old diesel locomotive that reminds me of my childhood in the 80s, e.g. a Class 47 pulling classic old British Rail carriages.
One of my favourite routes is the 'Wherry Lines' in Norfolk, which I paid for separately. I also bought the DMU loco addon to go with it as I have many happy memories of travelling between Norwich and Great Yarmouth on it back when I was a boy. Both route and loco weren't that much, and to me it was worth it as I've had a lot of use out of them.
You're right that as it comes 'out of the box' so to speak, there's not a lot to choose from. Depending on your tastes, yes you probably will have to buy a few addon routes/locos to get the simming experience you really want.
Having said that, it's not really all that different from FSX etc if you think about it. I can't remember the last time I flew a default aircraft to a default airport. Everything I fly, and everywhere I fly to I've paid for separately. I can say I've done exactly the same in Train Sim.
I'm not endorsing Train Sim at all, I'm just saying that you probably will have to fork out some extra cash at some point, but that entirely depends on what you want out of it. :thumbsup:

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

I totally agree, and I would be happy to shell out to get a train sim the way I want it. The thing that bothers me a little is the apparent inter-dependency of some of the add-ons. It's a bit like buying Y's Heathrow and then finding that you need to buy X's 747 to make it work properly :S

I might be reading too much into this, and in fact the main add-on I would get doesn't have that disclaimer, but, as I know from FSX and now X-Plane, one day I would want to expand even further........

However as nothing I'm interested in has come up in the current sale I'll be putting this to one side for a while......

TTFN

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

FYI, currently in the Sales on Steam:

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 2019: 43% off, £28.49 down from £49.99
Train Sim World (TSW) 2020: 30% off, £17.49 down from £24.99
Train Simulator 2020: 35% off, £16.24 down from £24.99

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Airtrooper wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:19
FYI, currently in the Sales on Steam:

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 2019: 43% off, £28.49 down from £49.99
Train Sim World (TSW) 2020: 30% off, £17.49 down from £24.99
Train Simulator 2020: 35% off, £16.24 down from £24.99
After reading some of the views about the sims I went for TSW 2020 off Steam Brazil for R$42, which comes out at less than 8 quid :welldone:

I had a late night last night :doh:

TTFN