Weather report 20th December 2019

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Weather report 20th December 2019

Post by Tomliner »

I echo all your comments Chris. The situation in Oz is tragic both in human and wildlife terms. Hope the affected areas get some substantial rain soon. :S EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

We haven't heard anything for a while Mike so I thought I'd ask how you (and any other Ozzies on here) were coping with the fire situation.

Hopefully you and yours are still safe.

:thumbsup:
Larry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 23:10
We haven't heard anything for a while Mike so I thought I'd ask how you (and any other Ozzies on here) were coping with the fire situation.

Hopefully you and yours are still safe.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for your concern, Larry,
In general, a couple of cut & pastes from the web:
"1365 homes have been lost, while 3.6 million hectares have been burnt this fire season."
"Over half a billion animals are believed to have perished"
There have been human lives lost and several are missing.
Forecast weather is not going to help firefighters.
The immediate area for the Airspeed family is risky, but thankfully the local fires that have broken out have so far been brought under control.
The intensity of the fires have surprised firefighters with decades of experience. There has apparently been more than one instance of local fire tornadoes, one of which generated such wind that an 8 ton /10 tonne fire truck was flipped, killing one man and injuring the other two on board.
Some entire small towns have burnt, while power, phone connections, drinking water and basic commodities are unavailable. Roads have been closed, stranding holiday makers. Some roads have melted,
Can't speak for MikeW, Paulsi or others, as they are hundreds of kilometers North.
Apart from the ongoing risk, I do worry about how the loss of vegetation will affect our already-hostile weather, and the domino effect of wildlife loss.
:worried:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/ ... s/11834006

EDIT...Just received this email:
Hello and thank you for buying a item from me ,
i pride myself with very fast sending and as cheap as i can fast delivery of your item , i value your business for now and in the future , Sadly we have been caught up in the West Australia Bush Fires and what was a week and a half away seeing family has turned into a waiting game as the Roads have been closed on the Nullarbor , we are now waiting for the highway to re-open so we can get home ... As soon as we get back your item will be posted , if i can i will send express to speed things up, but please let me know if your item is urgent and i will try and arrange things faster for you , Wishing you a Happy and safe New Year and if you are in a fire region stay safe and i hope all goes well for you , Best regards Rickie

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I feel for you and your fellow Ozzies Mike and hope you get some relief soon. If I could pack up our rain, snow and/or ice and send it to you I would...overnight!
Larry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Hang in there Mike and everyone in Oz. My thoughts are with you and I hope you get some much needed rain and relief from those fires soon!

Nigel²

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Good grief, if it wasn't so serious.......
The Armed Forces delivered hundreds of small generators, on account of power lines going down.
Unfortunately, they were all petrol powered, and there was no way to deliver petrol.
Update: they are going to sling petrol under some Chinooks to help out.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Airspeed wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 07:30
Good grief, if it wasn't so serious.......
The Armed Forces delivered hundreds of small generators, on account of power lines going down.
Unfortunately, they were all petrol powered, and there was no way to deliver petrol.
Update: they are going to sling petrol under some Chinooks to help out.
Better keep that news away from the environmentalists, they'll be having kittens... :-O
Alex

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Just read about a C-130 fire bomber lost fighting the fires in Oz. My thoughts go out to the families of those lost.

Turns out it was a real international affair, a Canadian owned aircraft, crewed by Americans fighting fires in Australia!
Larry