Important Rule For Anyone Who Wants To Do Polar Crossing

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Important Rule For Anyone Who Wants To Do Polar Crossing

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

If any of you want to do North Pole crossing by flying propeller plane or historic jet from Europe to cross North Pole to refueling stopover at PANC Anchorage on way to final destination in any city in Japan, you need to prepare for possibility of an emergency landing in Arctic Circle.

You are required to have in your plane extra emergency supplies such as parka coats, extra food, and extra water.

More important is you need to train your stewardresses how to use submarine guns. Oh yes it is must in case you encounter polar bears in Alaska or communist soldiers if you drift into Soviet Union or North Korea air space by mistake and wind up being forced down.

Here is example of how KlM airline prepared for any emergency during North Pole crossing between Europe and Japan. Notice how heavily armed the KlM stewardesses were.

Regards,

Aharon

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Important Rule For Anyone Who Wants To Do Polar Crossing

Post by Paul K »

The first time I flew that route, in a KLM DC-10, the five centre rows of seats at the back had been removed, and the space used for strapped-down survival gear. It was all crated up, so I've no idea whether firearms were included. After that first flight, I usually flew with British Airways in both directions, and I can't remember them them carrying all that gear.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

A stewardess with a machine gun would definitely get the attention of the passengers when making their safety announcements. :lol:

Brian

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Aharon , thanks for this , 'specially the rifle in stewardess's hands .
We got laid off in '83 , and for 2 years was cabin crew on 747-136s and 236s . Worked with Ian [ Speedbird 591 ] late of this parish , and indeed 1st met him when he was my Purser and I junior steward on an Anchorage trip .
We [ BA ] certainly carried a netted pallet [ taking up the back 2 centre rows of 4 seats ] of survival kit on polar routes . The contents were displayed in the cabin crew training centre . Crew survival suit looked good ...Not sure about the pax ones ! And Never heard about firearms , due UK firearms rules . I think we'd have used flare guns at Polar bears .

Jump forward to '02 , conversion to flying 744s from 734s . Return from Tokyo , sent us over the Kara Sea , North of Novaya Zemlya ; then down the Barents Sea to North Cape , Lofoten Islands , Norway and home ... Discussion items of training on way home included need for Polar Packs. Luckily I'd done my home work and was able to show the trainer [ also newly arrived from Short Haul ] where and 'wot the rules were................... Polar Packs to be carried if flying further than 700nm from an '' Adequate '' airfield .. i.e. long enough , radio aid , open etc. ................This is where you need to be a lawyer when flying ...as it did not have to be suitable !
On that day it was -40C , 200m vis , in blowing snow with only an NDB approach . Certainly was not a suitable diversion field .
However , we were legal as our route only took us only 698 nm from that field . And we got to within 550 nm of Npole [ FMC speak for North Pole ] .
As an aside , Siberia is Bigggg , and I thought Katanga was a Lenny Henry invention ...Not a town in Siberia .

thanks again ,

rgds dave f.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Why all the sullen faces with just one pilot smiling? The 4th pilot from the left seems to be thinking along the lines of why me having to fly that dammned route!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

P'haps she's pointing the rifle at him !

dave f.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Or , that he's not sharing that sleepig bag with him under ANY circumstances .

dave f.