Scam Warning!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Scam Warning!

Post by Swanoir »

These scams are a growing menace. I'm so paranoid that a couple of years ago when I had a call from my bank regarding fraud on my card, I was so convinced it was a scam that I refused to speak to them. The next day I went into my branch and asked them to confirm that the call had been legitimate. It turns out it was and some numpty had been using my card to order body building supplements! :hide:
I never answer the house phone anymore as everyone I know uses my mobile number. The only person I answer the house phone to is my Dad as his caller ID shows up.
Any number I don't recognise on my mobile I ignore. I always say that if it's not someone on my contacts list and it's important then they'll find a way of reaching me (e.g. leaving a voicemail at the least).
It's also dead easy on the mobile to copy the number and Google it, you'll get results in seconds telling you if it's cold calling, scams etc.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

My wife and I are both in our 70s but, hopefully, not about to fall into one of these scams.

As for dementia, we looked after my mother-in-law for 12 years before placing her in a nursing home. And yes, she was a target for scammers such as taxi drivers taking 100 quid for a 12 mile round trip with a stop for morning coffee which she paid for. Unfortunately the police could not help because, until she was declared unfit to make a rational decision, it was deemed that she 'gave' the money of her own free will. So, yep, we know all about the scum that prey on the vulnerable. :poke:

ATB

Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Unfortunately the police could not help because, until she was declared unfit to make a rational decision, it was deemed that she 'gave' the money of her own free will. So, yep, we know all about the scum that prey on the vulnerable. :poke:
If the police could not help then the taxis company should have been informed or if he was a self employed taxis driver I would suggest speaking to the licencing department of the local authority who grants badges and licences. If the authority are made aware of any repeat offences such as you described then they do have the power to withdraw the licences, I am sure of that although now it is too late!

On the week-ends around thirty years ago I used to drive a friends' taxis part-time as I had a Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licence and got 30% of the takings but never once did I ever overcharge any-one in fact, when I picked up fares and one passenger was dropped off north of the city centre and the other wanted to be dropped off 2 miles south of the centre I always paused the meter until just past the centre then pressed resume button, that way he/she would not be charged for the journey back to the centre but always on-wards from it, some taxis drivers used to restart the meter in which the fare would start with something like 75p for the first mile and then clocked to their destination which meant more money for them which I never did. If you treat your customers well they will keep coming back and using your service.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Nigel,

We tried just about everything at the time over a period of a couple of years but nothing worked. That he continues in business is probably due to the old dears he 'befriends'. In the end mother was declared unfit to make a rational decision and we took over her finances but by that time she needed care 24/7 and after 12 years we were knackered. She went into a wonderful nursing/care home and really enjoyed her last days.

We have heard of other cases and he is not the only one but it is pure anecdotal.

I said to my son "If I get to that state get a gun and shoot me." He left the room in a hurry and I thought I had upset him so I called to ask where he was going and he said "To get a gun!"

You have to retain a sense of humour, either that or crack up.

ATB

Allan

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

I've almost eliminated all robocalls. My landline phone is a newer model of Panasonic ( KX-TGE633) that intercepts incoming calls and if unidentified or not stored in contact list, requests caller to "dial 1 to complete this call". Robo callers are unable to complete this task and hang up. I've lost a few automated alert calls, but now when I give out my landline number I add "extension 1" and most of those problems have gone away. The phone does list the call as a "missed call" with name and number if available..

On the i-phone (Ios 13), there is an option ( setting, phone, silence unknown callers ) to intercept unknown calls and send them direct to voice mail.

On both, the phone does not ring unless it is a permitted call. This has eliminated almost all unwanted calls although they keep trying. I count 5-7 missed calls a day now.

plumber
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by plumber »

Thanks for the info re IPhone. Although you can block unwanted calls you have to receive it first.
Brian H :welldone:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I said to my son "If I get to that state get a gun and shoot me." He left the room in a hurry and I thought I had upset him so I called to ask where he was going and he said "To get a gun!"

You have to retain a sense of humour, either that or crack up.
:lol: :lol:

Hi Allan, that's my kind of humour too, I tend to have a bit of black humour as well as when working in C.C.T.V. I witnessed many deaths, suicides, RTC, etc.

One night I was on duty and my colleague was monitoring a possible suicide, male on top of a multi-storey car park, usually in these situations sixth sense can almost forecast the outcome as he had been there for some time and did not jump thankfully however, we did not have a camera on the other side of the building but could monitor him from another camera. My colleague then asked me, 'If he jumps where will he land?' I just turned to her and said laconically 'On the floor'. She was not impressed but what else can you say to a stupid question?

Regards
Nigel.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Nigel,

After nigh on 30 years in the Army I learnt black humour very early on. In the days before flak jackets and counselling, humour and a healthy slurp of alcohol its what got us through. Now I look back and wonder how any of us got on without cracking up.

As the instructor said; "This anti-personnel mine with take your foot clean off which means you will save a fortune in footwear." We laughed and watched where we trod and especially so when we learnt of the 'jumper mine' that went off at groin height :wasntme:

ATB

Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Now I look back and wonder how any of us got on without cracking up.
I can well imagine that but just look at those who survived the hell of the First and Second World Wars, many were mentally scarred, one former bomber pilot who lived near me said he would on many occasions have nightmares of what he went through, he flew throughout the war including the Battle of Britain when he was trained to fly the Spitfire due to shortage of fighter pilots then going back to bombers in 1941, he had been shot down in his Blenheim over Holland during the Battle of France, he and the navigator baled out and got back to England but his gunner had been killed.

In those days after the wars, there was no help for many and it was a case of carry on as normal.

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I love a good cold call!

I took two calls when I worked at Southend Aerodrome (not fit to be an airport!)
One was about saving money on your electricity bill so I played along with it. I said I had no idea as to what we spent per month but that we had a lot of lights. The conversation went on a bit before I revealed it was an airport she was talking to.

The next one was regarding debt. Stobart had invested £115m in the aerodrome and had yet to make any money. I also strung that one out before they hung up.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.