These forums.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

These forums.

Post by 511Flyer »

I usually log in to the forums several times a day. As we get older, we need to keep our brains ticking over. A good and easy way to do that I find, is to interact with others through forums.

As the UK and other countries around the World begin to close down, and I know this community is widespread and Worldwide, this is a good way to share news and information. So let's all use it.

We all know each other fairly well, and although we are only virtual friends, it's a friendship I value greatly. The only person from here that I actually met, was the late and very much missed guy Dave Booker. We met a few times at Brooklands.

One thing that is very noticeable, is that many people view the posts, but very few say anything. For instance, Nigel H-J's recent post attracted 587 views, to which only 37 replied. Some of those more than once. For myself, one post attracted 659 reads, and only 28 replies.

How about some of you viewers just say something? You may be somebody we don't know, but you would be made welcome. Perhaps a :) or something. Anything at all.

Some forums have closed down through lack of support, I don't think, that will happen here, but we all have a part to play. So keep the posts coming, and say something, anything! Serious, funny, maybe controversial? But above all, be nice to each other.

Communities are working together in the real World to help us get thorough this Virus outbreak. I hope that all of you stay safe and well, and when it's all over, we'll look back on it and say, "CBFS forums helped me to get through it"

Den.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: These forums.

Post by Airspeed »

Couldn't agree more, Den! :welldone: :agree:
When I see those big numbers of views, but few/no replies, I wonder whether search engines have directed people to this forum, because of words in the topic, then the searcher thinks, "no, that's not what I'm after", and doesn't leave a comment as they are not Members. :dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Den and very well put, I have also noticed that when posting anything on the forum I have also noted that X number of people have viewed but never wrote anything and it may even take a day before some-one responds. Strange really although I never expect an immediate reply! :lol:

I think we do get a lot of visitors who are/appear to be quite happy just browsing our forum without becoming involved, just had a look and the statistics show that:

In total there are 39 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

OK, come on you 36'ers, show yourselves!! :poke: :lol: :lol:

From all the forums I have been on I have found that some are very clicky i.e. seem to favour certain posters, others just do not appear to have that homely comfort feeling, in other words you feel a bit of an outsider and not really being accepted into the fold. I could be wrong but there are some very big forums operating and there does not appear to be the personal touch as we have here, probably due to the size of membership although there is another forum I have been on but not of late and they are like CBFS, a very close knit community and this is one reason why I keep on coming back here as I have always felt other members to be very good friends even though we may not have met.

All in all Den, a very good post and look forward to reading other replies. :thumbsup:

Hey Mike, would you please refrain from hitting the submit button when I am as now my post is behind yours!! :poke:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Good post, Den. Lurking seems to be fashionable at the moment. I saw it happen on another forum where there were often twenty or thirty ‘guests’ but no posts for days and weeks. Eventually the forum closed down due to lack of interest, and what was left of the membership decamped to Facebook.

As you say, we are going through difficult times, and we would all benefit from a revival of flight sim discussions, worldly wisdom and the often bizarre off-topic departures that characterise CBFS.

MSFS2020 is on the distant horizon, and the way things are going, flight simming may soon be the only form of air travel available. Discuss!

:) :cpu:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

MSFS2020 is on the distant horizon, and the way things are going, flight simming may soon be the only form of air travel available. Discuss!
Just had a look out of curiosity at Flightradar and there are still enormous amount of aircraft flying though Italy appears to have very few in comparison to Britain, I thought Trump had banned all flights from Europe to the States which included the UK but there are still a number of flights travelling there.
https://www.flightradar24.com/VIR33C/243cbe86
Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I guess I might be one of those 'lurkers' as I come in several times a day and read every post but I only reply when I feel I have something useful to contribute. If I don't have anything to add then I add nothing but that doesn't mean that the post wasn't valuable or important to me. I operate the same way in face-to-face conversations too, if I have nothing useful to say I say nothing.
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 12:44

Just had a look out of curiosity at Flightradar and there are still enormous amount of aircraft flying though Italy appears to have very few in comparison to Britain, I thought Trump had banned all flights from Europe to the States which included the UK but there are still a number of flights travelling there.
https://www.flightradar24.com/VIR33C/243cbe86
Regards
Nigel.
Nigel, I too was a bit surprised at the level of traffic across the pond. I expected a only handful of flights, but it’s still fairly busy.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Good post Den and very relevant for the future as well as these interesting times!

I was supposed to be on one of those aircraft thingies on Sunday but sadly flight cancelled. On a good note though Jet2 processed the refund very quickly. I'm impressed.

canuck51
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by canuck51 »

Okay, I'm busted. I've been peeking through the keyhole at this forum for ages - that really isn't as creepy as it sounds - but thought I'd wait to post until I had something intelligent to say. But I decided to post anyway. I truly enjoy the folks here and appreciate the expertise, thanks to you all.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Trump hasn't banned FLIGHTS,
He's banned citizens of certain countries from entering the USA.

Airlines are still free to fly back and forth, and to land US citizens / permanent residence VISA holders in US and to collect people already there to return them home.

It's a subtle point, but it means US airlines can keep flying, and some from this side of pond too.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.