The dreaded virus.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: The dreaded virus.

Post by airboatr »

George.
I place great value on your life and I'm certain your departed SWMBO Does too.

:)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

George, I can’t imagine losing someone so close. What I will say, is that for years you helped me when I was doing bits and pieces of scenery. The scenery you made makes me happy. Even when I felt completely without hope, it was simple things like that, that made me smile. I love flying out of Newcastle over your Bridges... an FS Stephenson in some ways. You’ve always been kind and supportive and I really value you.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

There you go, George. :welldone:
I feared that you may have lost your dear wife, hence "household". I cannot imagine the pain of living without Margaret, my daily companion of over fifty years. My posts were not to criticize you, I feel for you.
My self esteem is also low, and I'm very critical of my errors and shortcomings.
I'm struck by the comments that our fine friends have posted.
I have put a similar case to my psychiatrist, (work related brain overload consultations).
Whenever I've said stuff like "What's the point of me?", he reminds me of people I've helped through volunteering, family, and those who have been positively affected by my actions, who don't necessarily contact me to report that fact.
We all have our frailties; the prostitute in "Les Miserables" sings: "See 'em with their trousers off, they're never quite as grand!"
Despite this, we must all remember that we all have value to somebody, somewhere.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

George. Just remember your namesake with the surname Bailey.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Thank you everyone.

This post wasn't about me but for the wonderful people who volunteer their services in these terrible times.
George

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

He once caught a fish this big

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just watched a video on the BBC News regarding China using surveillance to fight coronavirus which to all intent and purposes is a brilliant idea however, it is also very scary that they can monitor your life from where you have been to what you have bought and to what you view on the internet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_au ... e-outbreak

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Watched the report with interest. The trouble is we are, in this country and worldwide, already the subject of surveillance. OK we do not have ID Cards although I carried one for nearly 30 years as a member of HM Forces, but we are still traceable through the use of our credit cards. IIRC there was/is a TV programme where people are hunted down and the main weapon used against the evader is their use of cards to pay bills or draw money. It is a placid surveillance which we are used to and, in most cases, are prepared to live with.

The problem comes when all this hi tech is used by extreme elements or governments to control the populace. Again we have this in the form of marketing companies who compile list of our favourite shops and brands and then target us with 'special deals' that they are sure will tempt us. Take the good ol internet; The other day TSR2(Ben) announced he had bought a new monitor. Now I'm looking at the same kind of monitor so I did a search to find out prices and more tech detail. The next evening I was on Simviation and there in the advertisement boxes were offers from umpteen dealers for the monitor - that is the result of benign surveillance or in the case of marketing speak 'targeted marketing'. So in our democracy we live with it and hope it never turns and bites us. :rant:

Just my twopenny worth. Have a good weekend.

Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very well put Alan, when I worked on C.C.T.V. and there had been a credit card fraud the police gave me the bank and time of incident so all it was then hoping that the camera was pointing in the right direction to catch the offender which sadly sometimes was not the case! Oh well, onto the next review. 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

CCTV? We're currently watching the UK TV series "Capture" :worried: