The dreaded virus.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

The dreaded virus.

Post by GHD »

I have been overwhelmed by neighbours I hardly know who have offered to do shopping for me.

In fact, my daughter's accountant has also offered :-O

As it is, I am perfectly capable and my daughter insists on brinnging extras.

Aren't people wonderful :)
George

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: The dreaded virus.

Post by airboatr »

It's good to hear you are being looked out for, George.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

That's the point, though, George; you are perfectly capable and they want you to stay that way. Every outing by us 70+s adds to our risk.
Like Joe said, it's good to hear that you have willing helpers; you MUST be a good bloke. :agree:

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Lots of 70+ going out every day in our neck of the woods. Mind you there's the space to go around them.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I am 80+ and still go out.
George

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well, George, we've been told if you're reasonably fit and over 70 (which apparently includes those over 75, 80, 85, 90, and up to, but not including 324), or younger if you are in other states of health, stay home for your own safety. Nobody stops us going out, it's just advice. :wasntme:
LATE EDIT: Australia is bringing in an urgent order of thousands of protective masks :) ...eeerrrr, from China :worried:
Last edited by Airspeed on 01 Apr 2020, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

My wife falls into the category of high risk due to her immune system being up the creek for the past odd forty years but we do still go out for our shopping once a week. Me? What can I say apart from the fact that this coronovirus hasn't improved my metal state any............ I'm just a great deal more grumpier than ever!! :help:

One neighbour came round and said if we needed anything to let him know, he is a fireman and putting himself at risk for the sake of others, they all deserve a medal!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

I too have a very low immune system so I'm staying put as much as I can. As it happens my lady wife has put plenty of home made pies etc into the freezer so we are almost self sufficient with the exception of bread, milk and eggs. Which is a good thing since our nearest neighbour seems to be of the 'I'm all right jack' type.

The irony is that people who rarely stop to speak are ringing up and asking if we need anything from the shops. Funny old world innit :agree:

ATB

Allan

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Our Village parish council have set up a neighbourhood scheme where each of the 61 streets in the village has a person in charge, so to speak. The council in conjunction with the local Doctors, I presume, have identified the people at high risk (my wife being one) and therefore she has a contact if anything is needed. At the moment we are both OK, but I really should not go out because if I bring the virus back, then their good intentions are brought to nothing. So there is my dilemma, do I do the shopping, or ask for assistance from the neighbours putting them at risk? Similarly the Pharmacy has set up a delivery service for those people at risk.
This village is very friendly anyway, we have only been here 9 months, & have made quite a few friends in that time. The British spirit still lives!
Keith

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

So there is my dilemma, do I do the shopping, or ask for assistance from the neighbours putting them at risk?
Don't take the risk Keith, please ask for help. Your wife is too precious.
George