Lost aromas

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Lost aromas

Post by Airspeed »

I was waterproofing my boots today, when I was reminded of how different things smell, compared to my younger years.

I was never any good at soccer, but I loved getting my soccer boots ready. The aroma of Dubbin was gorgeous! These days, it smells like stale shoe polish. No joy at all!

Kerosene/Paraffin had an unmistakable aroma. These days, it is more like road tar.

Penetrol was another liquid that was immediately recognisable. Now it is sort of kero , but not quite. :S

Even my feet don't smell as sweet; what's going on?

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Lost aromas

Post by 511Flyer »

I noticed that the smoke from steam engines doesn't smell the same as it did. I've seen lots of rebuilds including the Flying Scotsman, and also the new Tornado.

:dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

New cars do not smell the same either, especially those with leather seats, not like the good old days of the fifties and sixties. The one smell I have to admit liking is that of getting inside an RAF aircraft, that smell is something you don't easily forget especially the Vulcan.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Long time since I had a new car Nigel.

I mowed the lawn yesterday, and the smell of the grass is wonderful. Never changes.

:)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Nigel H-J wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 14:46
New cars do not smell the same either, especially those with leather seats, not like the good old days of the fifties and sixties. The one smell I have to admit liking is that of getting inside an RAF aircraft, that smell is something you don't easily forget especially the Vulcan.

Regards
Nigel.
And a lot of other aircraft that were painted with cellulose & used DTD585 hydraulic fluid......Vanguards never smelt the same .....they used Skydrol...& an epoxy paint.
Keith

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Some months ago I wrote to "Country Life" after a conversation with three ladies who were in an art class. I had asked them which sounds from their childhood they no longer heard.

One answered: "The sound of a neighbour's husband sharpening his carving knife on Sunday morning ready to carve the roast joint."
The second: "The wife next door beating a carpet with a cane carpet beater."
The third: "The sound of church bells."
Me: " I miss the sound of horses hooves belonging to the horsedrawn carts used by the milkman, the greengrocer and rag and bone man."

My letter was chosen as "letter of the week" so i was awarded an excellent bottle of champaign.

Sounds just seem to disappear from our lives and I am thankful that we can still hear the sounds of a merlin engine and rarely now the sound of a Dakota creeping across the sky.

The drink called "Tizer" doesn't taste the same as it did when I was seven.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I remember the smell of Kiwi shoe polish as my RAF dad buffed up his uniform shoes every evening.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

hobby wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 20:49
....I am thankful that we can still hear the sounds of a merlin engine and rarely now the sound of a Dakota creeping across the sky....
We hear Dakotas more than Merlins here.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 00:20
I remember the smell of Kiwi shoe polish as my RAF dad buffed up his uniform shoes every evening.
Ah, Kiwi. Good stuff. My Dad kept his in a homemade wooden box, along with an old sock (used for applying the Kiwi), and his brush. Memories. :)

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

My latest tin of Dubbin: