A Blackpool Tram outside of Blackpool

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: A Blackpool Tram outside of Blackpool

Post by airboatr »

Thanks for posting that, Brian.

I enjoyed the links you posted, Eric.

The trams are stunning works of craftmanship.

The "trolly" in my hometown stopping running in 1941 or 42.
Simple box design. I imagine the depression and WW2 had some influence on the budget.

Take a ride if you like. But hang on. The trolly whips round turns at 60mph.

https://youtu.be/JOvF4J6djCs

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Living in Blackpool I would post a picture of the current trams (very modern looking) but they are not running during the lockdown :dunno:
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

Blackpool Transit #226, an open "boat car", currently resides at the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista Junction, Ca (SE of Travis AFB). The focus is on Streetcars Trams and Interurban railways, with about 100 pieces of rolling stock and almost 10 miles of electrified track. Unfortunately, #226 is currently out of service for a bad traction motor

WRM.org

photo:

https://www.wrm.org/media/k2/items/cach ... 2b30_L.jpg

Description

Blackpool 226 is a double-end, double-truck, center entrance, open top streetcar, unique to Blackpool, England known as a “boat car".

History

English Electric’s Preston Works built 226 as part of a series of 116 new Blackpool trams constructed between 1933 and 1939. Twelve of these new trams were open top boat cars (225-236). No. 226 arrived in August 1934, and with its sister cars saw regular use carrying tourists on the round town Circular and the famous Promenade routes. The Circular route ended with World War II, but resumed in 1957, ending for good in 1961 when the Blackpool town routes started to be discontinued. Four of the class were scrapped in 1968, but the other eight survived and were renumbered 600-607. No. 226 became 601, a number which it carried from 1968 to 1971, when it was withdrawn for sale to the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association. It arrived in San Francisco in October 1971 intended to run on that city’s Market Street, as part of British Week celebration. A dock strike prevented the tram’s unloading in time for the celebration. When No. 226 was finally unloaded it went straight to its new home, the Western Railway Museum. Number 226 did see Market Street service in 1983, as a participant in the Trolley Festival. It was returned the Western Railway Museum in 1985 after San Francisco’s MUNI had purchased from Blackpool its own boat car, No. 228. No. 228 had not been used in Blackpool since 1978, when it returned from Philadelphia after the 1976 Bicentennial. Five boat cars remain in Blackpool and three are in the USA, 226, 228 in California and 235 in the Trolleyville USA (Cleveland) collection. They are always popular cars (unless it rains) and are all in original condition, the only major modification was the fitting of windscreens in 1959.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

403 (Don't have Permission) error on that photo :$
ImageImage

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

Worked for me yesterday. Go to WRM.ORG and find the car roster. This worked for me this am. Not a great photo, nose quarter in barn.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

https://www.wrm.org/visit/car-roster/pa ... 57-btc-226

That should be the page with the picture on it, I think it was the direct link to the picture that it didn't like.
ImageImage