This is French for.....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: This is French for.....

Post by Dev One »

If one went by train, the Tannoy would pronounce Reading as REDD ing with emphasis on the REDD & the voice tone doing the Australian thing of raising on the last syllable.
When weekend commuting between Farnborough & Welshpool (Llangyniew actually) often passed through Leominster in the 80's.
Keith

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Go over to Warwickshore and Alcester is Ulster and in Staffs Uttoexeter is not Utto Exeter.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

simondix wrote:
11 May 2020, 11:37
... and in Staffs Uttoexeter is not Utto Exeter.
Nope, it's not even Ewetoxiter either. Most locals know it as Utcheter ('h'utch-eater) with a soft U as in up or under.
Larry

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Can be very confusing for visitors sometimes, I had an American crew at EMA years ago, they had accommodation booked, so when I asked them where they were staying the skipper took out a paper and said: "Loogabarooga", F/O said: "no it's louchbrouch", gave me the paper which read "Kings head hotel, "Loughborough" lol.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

robbie wrote:
11 May 2020, 15:35
Can be very confusing for visitors sometimes, I had an American crew at EMA years ago, they had accommodation booked, so when I asked them where they were staying the skipper took out a paper and said: "Loogabarooga", F/O said: "no it's louchbrouch", gave me the paper which read "Kings head hotel, "Loughborough" lol.
:rofl:

Brian