This is French for.....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: This is French for.....

Post by emfrat »

My late Dad (who taught English) liked to tell a yarn about a 17th century Huguenot who had fled France to start a new life in London. He found some cheap digs in a garret in Southwark, and started learning English. One hot day, after spending hours trying to figure all the '...ough' words, he went down for a walk in the street, to clear his head.
As he turned a corner, he came upon the old Globe Theatre, which had a huge marquee outside saying "Hamlet pronounced success".
So he went back to his lodgings and hanged himself. :doh:
MikeW

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Yes used to be taken to Langley in the 50's where Attackers were being repaired, later on M4 went straight through it & then Ford made its Transits on what remained I think, dunno if it still there, must look on Google maps.
Yes to Snakes skins.
Keith

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Airspeed wrote:
10 May 2020, 05:49
Slough is still in Middlesex, Keith ( I just checked, as we used to go there in the 50s)
Heaven alone knows what source you checked for that fact Mike but Slough is in Berkshire! I think you (and Keith) should take a little more water with it. ;)

Pete

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Heaven alone knows what source you checked for that fact Mike but Slough is in Berkshire! I think you (and Keith) should take a little more water with it. ;)
You beat me to it Pete. I think I’m correct in saying that Reading is the county town of Berkshire and is the largest in the UK not to have a city status. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

You beat me to it Pete. I think I’m correct in saying that Reading is the county town of Berkshire ...
Yes it is Eric and my 'home' for 29 years. Did I really manage to commute on the M4 from Reading to the Heathrow turn-off for nearly 30 years? Goodness me but doesn't time fly when you're having fun! :lol:

Actually, Reading wasn't too bad a place to live with great road and rail links and of course, easy airport access, but I'm delighted to have been able to return to my roots here on the south coast 4 years before retirement. A different world. :thumbsup:

Pete

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Tomliner wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:34
You beat me to it Pete. I think I’m correct in saying that Reading is the county town of Berkshire and is the largest in the UK not to have a city status. *-) EricT
I wonder how many pronounce it Reeding.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

PeteP wrote:
10 May 2020, 17:51
Airspeed wrote:
10 May 2020, 05:49
Slough is still in Middlesex, Keith ( I just checked, as we used to go there in the 50s)

Pete
Right, that's something else I've learnt!
I was going on the overall map, recognising all those towns that I frequented.
I see, through further reading (eyeballing, NOT the town!) that Middlesex was officially eliminated in 1965, but I also see that people who live there, still say they live in Middx.
________________________DAILY MAIL___________________
Tech. trap bags ex-pat. in Middle sex spat :$
Last edited by Airspeed on 11 May 2020, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Airspeed wrote:
11 May 2020, 04:32
I see, through further reading (eyeballing, NOT the town!) that Middlesex was officially eliminated in 1965, but I also see that people who live there, still say they live in Middx.
Indeed Mike - I think it's part of Greater London now - but despite not existing, it still has a half-decent cricket team and their home ground is not too bad either although not up to the standard of Hampshire's. :)

Pete

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I lived in Herefordshire for 22 years. Leominster was the nearest town, and Weobley was just a couple of miles away.

It is Lemster and Webley.

:)