Swarm of helicopters

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Swarm of helicopters

Post by GHD »

George

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Swarm of helicopters

Post by 511Flyer »

I guess that's RAF Shawbury George.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Ahhh RAF Shawbury, happy memories of flying Chipmunks there when I was in the ATC in the early 70's.

Just to the North-east was RAF Ternhill where I did my gliding course.
Larry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I flew in a Chippie from RAF Shawbury too! would have been late 70's I think. Also gained my ATC Marksman badge there on the outdoor range (we couldn't fly due to the weather so we went a walk around the base. As we passed the range one of the staff said 'hey, lads want a go on the range'. We didn't need to be asked twice).
I also flew from RAF Ternhill in a powered glider. A fournier, I think.

I have memories of being on holiday in Devon or Cornwall as a kid. We were in the car in the most torrential downpour as a Gazelle helicopter flew past. It put down in a field next to the road (we'd stopped because of the rain). Not sure if it was the weather that forced it to land.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Which ATC SQN were you with Kevin? I was with 435 SQN, based in Newcastle-under-Lyme which was roughly 18 miles NE of RAF Ternhill or 27 miles NE of RAF Shawbury. Ternhill and Shawbury were the closest flying airfields to us. RAF Stafford was the closest base but that was a non-flying base as it was the main Tactical Supply Base, basically a huge QM 'stores' operation.
Larry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

425 SQN (Alouettes) in Aldridge, Walsall. We were linked to the RCAF 425 SQN who at the time flew CF101 Voodoo aircraft (there were plenty of photos on the walls of the ATC 'hut'). I was a member from the age age of 13 through to about 18, when I had to give it up to concentrate on 'A' level exams. I loved it! One of my favourite events was the annual 'Dining in Night'. we had a three course meal (provided by Mothers of the SQN members and Wives of the staff - they always did a phenomenal job!), where awards were handed out and we even had a glass of port to toast HM The Queen.
I was selected for the glider course and turned up at RAF Cosford for my first day, only to be told that I couldn't take part due to a medical condition - I was born with a 'Hole in the Heart', which had been corrected by surgery at the brilliant Birmingham Children's Hospital. On visiting my GP, he was livid saying he had sent a letter saying that my condition had been fixed and I should not be stopped from taking part in this training. Unfortunately, by the time this happened another cadet had taken my place.
There were other highlights, 'though. I got a weeks camp at RAF Wildenrath in Germany. This was back when the F4 Phantom was still in operation. I spent a day in the Maintenance Hangar and sitting in the front seat of the F4, I was instructed through a missile release procedure.
425 SQN also had the nose section of a Canberra to the side of the hut. This was linked to a console within the hut, with which we would undertake all sorts of exercises.

There's so much more I could write about, but don't want to bore!

Larry, I hope you enjoyed your time with the ATC as much as I did - always great to meet a fellow cadet!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I was a Cdt Flight Sgt in 2451 (Brockworth) squadron, sadly it no longer exists.

These days I am a CI with 177 (Blackpool Airport) Squadron.

My first flying was in the chipmunks from Filton, did my A&B Gliding at South Cerney, RAF Marksman at the outdoor range at Pilning near Bristol
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I used to finish my IR renewals at Shawbury . It was a favourite with the CAA examiners in the NW because it is one of the very few ( or was in the 1970 - 1990 period ) which had an offset ILS to IIRC RW 17 . In practice it didn't make it all that much more difficult but it was just another thing to think about . Those were the days! :lol: