Any-one seen it yet?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Any-one seen it yet?

Post by airboatr »

:-O Brian!! You catty man! 🤭

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Reading all the above, I am again reminded that our Members possess a staggering range of talent and knowledge.
DFCs awarded to you (Damned Fine Chaps)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

511Flyer wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 13:43
When the Hale-Bopp comet was visible some years ago, the tail was not very clear when looking straight at it.
I took roughly 300 pictures of comet Hale-Bopp. The comet's tail changed in size and intensity throughout the time it was viewable to the naked eye.

This photo was taken a month or two (? Can't remember) before it was no longer above the horizon at dusk.
It was huge, the photograph didn't capture entirely what I saw, I mean. I was absolutely awestruck..
Taken from the edge of Area 2b of the Florida Everglades
Boca Raton, Florida

And this was taken a month or two after it first appeared far above the horizon at dusk. Puny in comparison.

Taken from the east side of The St. Lucie River.
Stuart, Florida

I'm very excited about going west to the banks of Lake Okeechobee, hoping I'll get a good photo of Neowise.
But I'm a little concerned over the medium.
The Hale-Bopp images were captured using film. Now I'll have to capture it on a digital sensor.
🤔
Last edited by airboatr on 16 Jul 2020, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Thanks to Kevin for the scientific explanation, and to Joe for the Hale-Bopp photos..

Den.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Dev One wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:51

I was involved with NVG's back in 1978 at Farnborough when they wanted to use the American ANVISS with gen 1 optics used only for choppers, to be safe to use on fast jets. The ANVISS was attached to the helmet adapter via two spring loaded ball bearings which would not stand more than 3 g before landing in ones lap. I designed a mod that removed the ball bearing & replaced them with a simple spring loaded cylinder which fitted into an open ended plate with recessed receiving holes. The MoD then put out to tender for RAF use and the company that got the contract came op with the design in the link you gave, Rob. Their design was of course for the Fast Jets so had the electrically operated release system. They did a demonstration of the little cylindrical explosive actuator & fired it with a 9 v battery, pointing it at the chairman of the meeting. Luckily they were told before firing it to point it away, they did so before firing........it went off on cue, but the piston broke through its stop & put a dent in the ceiling......
I believe the current gen III optics are fantastic - looks as if yours are gen III. Back then I was told that gen I's were worth £10K each!
My mods were used in Falklands combined with the NBC AR5 face plate for blast protection & MDC shrapnel & bird strike protection.
I did think though that the GEC 'Tombstone' Night vision system would win the contest - obviously not.
Long long time ago.....
Keith
An interesting post Keith, thank you.

You're right, this set is fitted with gen III tubes. They've recently been purchased to replace the gen II fitted Fenn NG2000's we have had in service since the mid 2000's. They were becoming tired and starting to suffer from failures, wires were loosening and knocking single tubes out mid flight and they were starting to get to the point they were no longer cost effective to repair.

The quality of the optics in these is significantly better. A lot of the urban based units aren't keen on using them, despite a significant amount getting spent having all of the fleet fitted with NVIS compatible instrumentation. I suspect this is due to the weight giving your neck quite a strain! For us out in the sticks they're a godsend. In the flat rural counties such as Lincolnshire and Norfolk, where visual references can be few and far between, they're worth their weight in gold. They're also useful for searches. A person lighting a cigarette or sending a text on a mobile phone can be seen clearly from miles away.

I've heard prices of between £20 & £30,000 quoted per set depending on who you ask. Needless to say they're treated like the crown jewels and dropping them on the floor does not go down well with the boss!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I've heard prices of between £20 & £30,000 quoted per set depending on who you ask. Needless to say they're treated like the crown jewels and dropping them on the floor does not go down well with the boss!
You could always blame the pilot for a heavy landing Rob. So you occasionally venture into Linconshire, When I was operating the cameras on C.C.T.V. it was the Humberside Heli that used to come over, have you taken over this patch Rob?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

We have Nigel. The Humberside unit was closed when the lease on their aircraft expired in 2016 and it's usually either us, the helicopter from Wakefield or the new P68's from Doncaster who attend jobs in Lincs.

In fairness they've never really required much of our service, even when Humberside was active. To put it in perspective when I was at the old Ripley unit the two main forces brought around 600 hours per force each year from us and Lincs brought around 10-20. They've got an excellent drone team (in my opinion one of of the best in the country) and due to the large open flat landscape they use them in the main for searches. They also regularly use the MCGA S92 at Humberside for incidents on the coast.

We do go occasionally though, normally stopping at Waddington for fuel on the way back where we have, most importantly, managed to get hold of the code to the Air Ambulance tea cupboard :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

We do go occasionally though, normally stopping at Waddington for fuel on the way back where we have, most importantly, managed to get hold of the code to the Air Ambulance tea cupboard :lol:
So maybe that explains why at Washingborough where I live we sometimes get the clatter of blades, late evening/early morning then, just waiting for the fuel gauges to read drink break!! :lol:

Had wondered what had happened to the Humberside Heli so thanks for clearing that up.
They've got an excellent drone team (in my opinion one of of the best in the country) and due to the large open flat landscape they use them in the main for searches.
Yes they are doing a great job Rob, and TBH it is about time that Lincolnshire Police had this equipment to hand as Lincolnshire is a very big county and also very difficult to police due to the fact that villages and towns are spread far and wide. Not only that but the drones are, I think, much quieter a height and can be barely seen at night.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Set the alarm and got up at 1am this morning. Went out into the garden with the binos. Looked in the right area and there it was tail and all. Despite being faintish from the light pollution here it was a very impressive tail and sight altogether.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Unfortunately we had storms most of the week. There were a few short clearing of clouds but I wasn't lucky enough to see it.

Did see a lot of this though.

:)