Another Virus Victim

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Globitz
Comet
Comet

Re: Another Virus Victim

Post by Globitz »

I have been led to believe that at least three have been confirmed by BA as going to Kemble for parts salvage and recycling!
As to the 747-8 I don't think the order book has been very full and apart from Lufthansa with 19 would appear to have been bought mainly by the Eastern Airlines, Korea 17, Cathay 14 for example.

Luckily there is still the occasional one into Heathrow, excuse the image, I was out for my evening walk and passed the airport purely by accident, was lucky that I had the camera albeit with a totally unsuitable lens for this.....
OI000003.JPG
OI000003.JPG (50.4 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Cheers

Andy

They did give a million monkeys a million typewriters. They call it the internet!
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that refreshing news, Ben and Andy,
I feel lots better now.
I find it hard to think that the article I read was a total lie, so I'll do some more looking up.
EDIT:
Turns out that many do go to desert graveyards, but only because that's a good preserving atmosphere while they await scrapping. Seems to be a slowish process though, as photos reveal large numbers of aircraft that haven't been disassembled. I have often seen photos like this, (not from Greenie sites, I must add) but they didn't come with the full story, so I thought they were being endlessly stockpiled. Naive, ill-informed, yes, but now I am enlightened.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

The disposal of these airframes does not seem to be a rapid process; watched a fairly recent video, showing, inter alia, a large number of Vietnam War B52s on site. *-) There were hundreds of F16s, and even C5 Galaxies. Some are intended to return to service, some will be drones, but I can't see the B52s doing it for Uncle Sam again.
OK, I'll pipe down now.

Globitz
Comet
Comet

Post by Globitz »

Did not have too much planned for today and needing to get out for a little while,I decided to pop down to the little airport at the bottom of the road. Here a few of the images of the quenns that I could get given the fence and trees around the BA base.
Finally had a surprise when I got home and had a quick look at FR24 to discover that UPS N573UP was due overhead on her way to Cologne from St Louis!
P7220727.jpg
P7220727.jpg (180.11 KiB) Viewed 905 times
P7220720.jpg
P7220720.jpg (121.75 KiB) Viewed 905 times
P7220730.jpg
P7220730.jpg (135.57 KiB) Viewed 905 times
P7220743.jpg
P7220743.jpg (144.13 KiB) Viewed 905 times
P7220761.jpg
P7220761.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Cheers

Andy

They did give a million monkeys a million typewriters. They call it the internet!
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

TSR2 wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 06:36
Here’s one for Mike...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53509361
Thanks for that, Ben! :thumbsup:
I'm not a regular FR24 watcher, so do the different coloured trails, (purple and pale blue), represent different heights, or does the colour just vary, and that's that?

Now, this is how I get the wrong impression; the report says it is heading for the Mojave Desert full stop.
I read elsewhere that it is going there to be prepared for handover to an as yet un-named new owner.
I can see that you can't just read and believe. *-)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That’s Qantas Mike, different airline to BA. They’ll have different policies on disposal. BA usually recycle what they can’t sell on.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage