Some-one has used my card number.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Some-one has used my card number.

Post by AllanL »

Sorry to hear this.

I had a fraudulent transaction from a computer parts supplier a few years ago. I had used them before, and wondered how I could prove that I had not ordered something over the phone. The credit card company held the transaction as yours has. It took a few months to disappear from my statement but it did eventually.

To cut a long tale short it seemed that the computer company went out of business and hit every card that they had records of for £300 before they cleared out of the building.

A year ago a pickpocket got my debit card in central London. The first I knew of it was when the bank phoned me to check if a number of sub £30 transactions from Tesco Express stores were legit. They cancelled all of them and issued a new card within a week. They even told me how to get cash across the counter of any branch in London if I needed it to get home.

So hopefully you should get the transaction cancelled eventually. Apparently the banks have a central slush fund to cover such crimes. Of course we all pay for it eventually.

I did once get a speeding ticket south of Glasgow, but that was me. Sneeky bleeders were in an unmarked BMW behind me!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Allan and many thanks for replying, it dies somehow make me feel a bit better knowing that I am not alone in having been hit by a scammer.

Thankfully the card company realised that our report of this fraud was genuine, the only time I had boarded a ferry was when I was in the RAF and going across to France to work at the Paris Airshow. Was there for six glorious weeks!!

Bad luck about speeding!! Used to go up to Scotland a lot when driving on the British Sugar Contract, always watching out for the police as they were very tough on speed limits and more so than our English counterparts.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Nigel ,I meant to say that I use a credit card to buy petrol but only by paying at the pump not inside the garage. I’ve heard of cards being skimmed at such places. EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

On the subject of having your number plate cloned and having to pay the fine etc this might help (it is question number 696 on the askthe.police website:

Unfortunately it is up to you as the registered keeper to satisfy the issuer of the ticket that it was not you or your car at the time and place where the alleged offence occurred. Here are some suggestions on how to deal with it.

You could consider taking a photograph of the rear of your vehicle that may show that it was not your car. Hopefully there will be small differences between your car and the cloned one.

Legally manufactured number plates must have the details of the manufacturer on them so that may also be a way of distinguishing the vehicles, providing the photograph is of a high enough quality.

If you park your car in a car park whilst at work the operator may have CCTV evidence to prove that your car was there at the time of the alleged offence.

If this is a regular occurrence (and especially if the tickets are from your local area) contact your local police who may be able to put a marker on the police national computer. Be aware though that this will probably result in you being stopped more often so make sure you have documentation with you to identify yourself and the vehicle (but never leave it in an unoccupied vehicle).

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I recently had my card number used Nigel. Fortunately the transaction was blocked by my bank but with the consequence of having to have the card replaced. The suspect was an ice cream van from a recent trip to Littleborough. The fraudulent payment was for £800+ from Argos in Edinburgh. It's not the first time it's happened to us - usually it's a small business rather than a national chain but I am aware that some garage franchise owners like to chance their arm.

Sadly there's usually no follow up on fraudulent transactions so the culprits generally get away with it if not spotted.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks chaps for your posts, now waiting to hear from my card company if they have had any luck with their investigations though think it may take some time before I hear and will let you know of anything of interest.

Regards
Nigel.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I don't know if you will hear the results of the investigation Nigel,. I had a card compromised by a skimmer in a petrol pump and my credit card company cancelled the card so all was sorted. I asked if they would let me know what the investigation results were and was told they did not share that information for security reasons. Made sense to me.

Nigel²

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Glad you got it sorted mate.

I very rarely use cash and refuse to have anything to do with cheques. I also bank with one of the new online only banks and use card payments online for everything.

I must admit, I had 3 transactions made in various shops in London that weren't me. My bank app even told me which stores they were location wise (all London) and after a short online conversation, I had my money back and card cancelled in 27 minutes.
The new card was with me in less than 48 hours.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Talking speeding fines, Wife got one from Bath doing 29 in a 20 zone. Only trouble was that was in the first week of June, she had been shielding since March & had exchanged the car back in January in a back street garage in Swindon. DVLA knew it had changed hands cos her bank account showed a receipt for road tax repayment against that cars reg number. We assumed that the garage had completed the V5 with them as owners & DVLA had changed their records...... Police came back & said propose name of person driving, so we logged on to obtain the camera photo - this turned out to be very poor quality of the rear of the car - how is one supposed to ident a person like that!!! Looking online for the MOT certificate showed it to have had a new one on 1st June, so had obviously just been sold after the covid 19 shutdown lifted. What got me was the attitude of the summons - guilty unless proven otherwise - & DVLA do not always record the state of ownership so police automatically refer to them. The police do not seem to check the insurance data base, although on TV programmes they appear to have that knowledge & capability! Anyway it seems to have gone away after some e-mails & phonecalls as we referred the police to the garage & obtained a letter from insurance broker that acknowledged that insurance had changed cars, not added to the fleet so to speak!
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Nigel for letting me know on the outcome of your incident but surely the card company could have told you whether or not they had a success on their investigations. Yes or No would have been suffice without compromising their security.

Excellent service from your provider Chris, surprising how many scams there are and also hate to think how much banks are losing to this kind of fraud.

About a week ago before this fraud came to light I had a letter from the card company stating that they will be changing our cards and issuing us with new ones'. A week later the new ones' came and I securely disposed of my old one, it was the old one that had been scimmed, now they have sent me yet another card in which replaces my new one. Nothing like a bit of security to make you happy!!

BTW, think I must be developing a very suspicious mind as went to fill up with petrol at Tescos' and went to pay the cashier, I put my Tesco Card to the payment machine for points and heard it ping then next came my credit card which also pinged but then the cashier said it has not gone through!!
So did it again and there was the ping so made me a bit wary that did.

Regards
Nigel.