Bitzer project

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Bitzer project

Post by Airspeed »

I'm seeing them, and so did Mick (woody901).
Are you still having trouble?

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

No got it now

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Final check to see that you all read the specific question that came with the photos, and responded accordingly. :worried:
I'll stop this one at around the middle of Monday my time (EDST). For the UK, that'll be late Sunday Night.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I did a quick look, but got bogged down searching for a house to buy.....
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Dev One wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 22:27
I did a quick look, but got bogged down searching for a house to buy.....
Keith
I appreciate your priorities, Keith.
Sounds a little ominous, that you need/want to move. *-)
Good luck with your house hunting. Hope you find something nice. :thumbsup:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Oh, what a complicated web we weave. 8)
The basic question was to identify the Mks and point out the visual differences.
The under-fuselage aerial was not mentioned by anyone. :|
Most mentioned the different engines, though some got that info. from specifications rather than the photos.
I've given the benefit of the doubt to anyone who mentioned that difference, despite a comment that they weren't evident in the photos.
Some added correct notes about changes in the early marks regarding undercarriage and tailplane, but they weren't different between the depicted Mks. Waist guns also got a mention, but again, both Mks were similarly equipped.

The second part about the deleted feature was only mentioned by two, so well done to the diamond recipients,
AllanL and Pete (MilesMan)
That feature was the ventral turret of the MkI, which was certainly gone by the time the MkIC was produced.

Scoring gold for identifying KXoM as a MkIC, and EPoR a MkII, and mentioning the Merlins vs Pegasus, were:
Mick (woody901) and Christopher Storey.

Silver goes to Pete (Motormouse) who identified KXoM as a MkIII. The book says that in the air, the MkIC is indistinguishable from the MkIII. Pete had other information, which showed that he wasn't just doing a quick google. Pete didn't include the engines. :doh: EDIT Also silver to Den (511Flyer), who disagreed with the MkII, but did mention the engines. :wall: :wall:

Here's the full page showing EPoR, with some interesting points.
The sequence of codes on EPoS :dunno:
The painting of codes and roundels over the waist gunner's windows in 3 of the 4 :dunno:
I see that the same had been done on the photos of the MkIC as well.

All in all, it was a revealing excercise, and I thank you for your participation. :rock:
Last edited by Airspeed on 16 Feb 2021, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Mike : I must just challenge the suggestion that the engine difference was not visible in the photos. In that of EP R the exhaust stubs from the right hand bank of the starboard engine can be seen as a kind of grey line - it was that which alerted me to the fact is was a Mark II which was in the event the only mark with Merlins - and the nacelles are perceptibly longer and arguably slimmer than the Pegasus cowlings

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

According to Wikipedia, Type 408 Mk1a, had either Merlin or Pegasus engines.

KX was the squadron code for 311Squadron RAF, and they flew Mk1a's and Mk 1c's.

:S

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Ah but MKX was used by R1410, a MkIC, and appears in an Imperial War Museum photo at the top of the Vickers Wellington page in Owen Thetford's Aircraft of the RAF. :lol: You can't beat a Putnam's for a browse when SWMBO is soap operaing.

It also appears in a group shot on the Squadron page in wikipedia. (It was a weekend locked in with SWMBO.... :OB:)

Can't read the build code in Mike's photo? - should'a gone to Specsavers. 8) 8) :hide: :cheers:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

cstorey wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 18:07
Mike : I must just challenge the suggestion that the engine difference was not visible in the photos. In that of EP R the exhaust stubs from the right hand bank of the starboard engine can be seen as a kind of grey line - it was that which alerted me to the fact is was a Mark II which was in the event the only mark with Merlins - and the nacelles are perceptibly longer and arguably slimmer than the Pegasus cowlings
Thanks Christopher,
I thought that they were evident, but not every respondent could see them. Maybe they were looking on a small screen. I simply reported comments received. 0:)