Bitzer project

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

woody901
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Bitzer project

Post by woody901 »

I have to come clean and correct 'Airspeed'. I was given a tick and an award for the DH Flamingo but my guess was so far off the mark I should have been booked. However I did come in rather early with the Avro Ashton but got left out on the awards.
Swings and roundabouts. :) :cheers:
Mick Wood
Mick
Have a great day.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

woody901 wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 15:29
I have to come clean and correct 'Airspeed'. I was given a tick and an award for the DH Flamingo but my guess was so far off the mark I should have been booked. However I did come in rather early with the Avro Ashton but got left out on the awards.
Swings and roundabouts. :) :cheers:
Mick Wood
Er-hum,
Swings and roundabouts corrected by edits, Mick. I added you to the wrong list in my note book. :doh:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Very little special knowledge required for this one, just a bit of checking.
Then all you need to do is match the aircraft to their details!
So your answer should be in the form "1 = Halifax, 2 = Lancaster.....etc, through to 7 = "
If that's not clear, please ask for more explanation. :)
So, here's the details:
....and here are the names to match:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Good response to this one, I'm pleased to say.
I'm also pleased to have consolidated a bit of knowledge about the seven aircraft, particularly the 4 engined examples.
I think that we'll close this one around Australian midday tomorrow, so if there's any late entries, you have about 15 hours to squeeze them in. :)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

OK, the original publication had them in this order:
1 Hampden/Hereford
2 Mosquito
3 Wellington
4 Manchester
5 Stirling
6 Halifax
7 Lancaster
In order of arrival, with 7/7 were:
DaveG, Eric (Tomliner), Brian Franklin, all within 20 minutes of each other.
They were followed by:
Keith (Dev One), Christopher (cstorey), and Mick (woody901).
Diamonds therefore to the above :welldone:
Den (511Flyer), Dale (VC10) and Ben (TSR2) initially had 6 & 7 reversed, but changed their minds for.....
gold :welldone:
Allan also had 6 & 7 reversed, and stuck to his guns, showing a strong sense of conviction. :thumbsup:
Silver is not to be sneezed at, Allan :welldone:
Thanks again to all who participated. Makes it very much worth my while. ;)
Again, things have been learnt.
I did not know that the Halifax was Merlin powered until later in its development. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of one with those engines.
Conversely, I've always associated Lancasters with Merlins, though my references tell me that radials were fitted to the later Mks.
The differentiating fact was the dimensions; the Halifax was always longer and taller, whilst its span went from 98' 8" to 104'. The Lancaster spent its life with a span of 102'. Turrets came and went, and weights varied.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I always associated the Lancaster with 3 turrets max. Where was the fourth located?

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

The Lanc had a ventral turret which was later deleted. According to "Aircraft of the Royal Air Force since 1918" by Owen Thetford.

Den.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks Den. I think the fourth turret came under the heading of useful but not particularly usable.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Ooh Silver, shiney!

Me stubborn - you should meet SWMBO - 38+ yrs and I still can't shake her off. :OB: :worried: :worried: :OB:

Owen Thetford is your friend, but it is interesting to see the differences in officially released information down the years.

At least Mike's quests help me to justify the pile of Putnam aircraft since..... volumes. Oddly she approves of my collection, mainly because I let her watch her soaps in peace when I've got my nose in the Putnam books.

I don't know when the quiz pages were printed but there were only ever 300 Lancasters built with Bristol engines at a time when fighter demand limited access to the Merlin. Later Halifaxes had Bristol engines in about 2,000 aircraft. They also had beam guns in some early aircraft.

All the joy of the chase and the occasional shiney pixels to show for it, what more could you ask for? Apart from Gabriela Sabatini, I hear she accepts bitter disappointment with equanimity.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Gabriela Sabatini! Now I have Clive James' voice in my head. Thanks Allan. :lol: :lol: