Bitzer project

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Bitzer project

Post by Airspeed »

New challenge, 21-02
Suggestions via PM only please, and please check that your message is confirmed as sent successfully.
I have uncovered a previously unused source that refers to some aircraft looking indistinguishable from the original. For instance, Russia "designed" their own version of the B-29. There are some specials from that recognition book planned.
The following is from another source entirely, and though it's described as designed and built in :shhh: , it looks very much like the idea was pinched from elsewhere to me. Anyway, over to you, you're the experts!

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

For 19-02 I put in a guess of a Dove, which was of course wrong. I could have then proceeded to guess it was a Heron, Devon or Drover but did not really have a good basis for saying it was one over the other and they would just be shots into the dark. Only think I did see was the antenna wires running under the hull in the third photo but on the third photo but in the images I looked at did not see that on any of the others I saw, was there some other clue I should have looked for?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

blanston12 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 00:02
For 19-02 I put in a guess of a Dove, which was of course wrong. I could have then proceeded to guess it was a Heron, Devon or Drover but did not really have a good basis for saying it was one over the other and they would just be shots into the dark. Only think I did see was the antenna wires running under the hull in the third photo but on the third photo but in the images I looked at did not see that on any of the others I saw, was there some other clue I should have looked for?
Hi Joe,
There's honesty for you! :thumbsup:
Not exactly obvious, but you can see the tailplane dihedral in my image. The twin engined versions had horizontal tailplanes.
I'm not as cruel as I sometimes seem, Joe, in fact I love giving out the badges. 0:) :agree:

I think that the particular colour scheme helped some, as it's preserved in the USA.
Thanks again for your interest, Joe.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

This one has me flummoxed, it looks familiar, but can't think where.......
Keith *-)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Dev One wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 07:00
This one has me flummoxed, it looks familiar, but can't think where.......
Keith *-)
Don't get confused with this one, Keith:
https://www.prints-online.com/royal-aer ... 05917.html

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

This takes me back to when I created a few repaints for Dave Moly's Short Scion for FS9!
:cheers:
Peter W

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Nice one, Pete :thumbsup: , saw a photo of that whilst I was checking details on the Scion.

We've had 5 correct-first-time answers on this 21-02 challenge, and no wrong 'uns. :)
Doesn't look like anyone else wants a go , so here's the usual 24 hours notice that the result will be posted this time of day, 26th February.

lastivka
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by lastivka »

Airspeed wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 02:57
Doesn't look like anyone else wants a go
Unfortunately, I can't PM you, because I'm a "new" member .... :|
But, as a bloke from Oz, where migratory seabirds from Britain fly - I do know the answer!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

21-02
I mentioned "borrowing" designs from others when launching this quiz.
There are mentions on the www that it looks like a Scion with different engines, so who really designed it?
It was apparently originally built by Cockatoo Dockyard & Engineering Co Ltd, and known as the "Codock"
Lovely advert here:
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/a ... URP2A.html
Mr Wackett, designer of some very uninspiring looking aircraft like the Wackett trainer,
left Cockatoo and was working for Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith, producing plans for the Gannet, a larger version of the Codock.
This Gannet was built by Tugan, and later became known as the Wackett Gannet.
In turn this was the "first Australian designed and built aircraft to join the RAAF."
The entries, as previously mentioned, were all correct. Your identification skills are stunning! :Dance:
Pete (Miles Man), PeteP, Mick (woody901), Ben (TSR2), and Den (511Flyer) all get the top badge for their brilliance.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

26-02 Am I giving too much away?
Suggestions by PM only please
26-02.png
(460.32 KiB) Downloaded 549 times