Just wondering......

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Just wondering......

Post by Filonian »

Does anyone know how many shop assistans have died from covid?

By the very nature of their job, they are mixing every day with people from different households indoors - in defiance of lock down rules.

Graham *-)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Just wondering......

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Graham, EDIT I NOW SEE THAT THIS ARTICLE IS 3 MONTHS OLD :doh:
Here's something for you:
UNITED KINGDOM
The Health Secretary said the Covid-19 death rate among male shop workers is 75% higher than the general population, and 60% higher in women, underlining the urgent need for face coverings in public to protect the spread of coronavirus.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/14/shop-wor ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
Anyway, this is how we're doing it:
VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA
SHOPS
I was AMAZED to read this. ALL shop assistants here have had to wear masks, and shoppers are not allowed to shop without one. In fact, we must wear them at all times when not on our own property. The initial fine for not wearing one was $200, and I think it's way more now. One of the ladies at our supermarket had a month's stress leave from having to mask up all day. Most places have barriers to keep customers back from the counter, and they all have perspex shields between assistants and customers. Every shop and other place of business must have hand sanitiser freely available at the entrance. Trolleys and baskets are wiped with sanitiser once used, and the big shops have sanitised wipe dispensers, so you can wipe handles yourself.
HOSPITAL
I nearly took a photo in the hospital the other day, to show how the floors are marked etc. I thought "don't be stupid, they'll all be doing this in the UK and USA."
DOCTOR
I needed a prescription renewal last week. Doctor rang me, sent a QR code or something to my mobile. I took the phone to the pharmacist, who scanned my phone, issued the pills, and sent the repeat prescription back to my phone. Contactless doctoring! Oh, and the pharmacist won't take cash any more.
VETERINARY
I took one of the cats to the vet, also last week. I had to leave the caged cat on their doorstep and wait outside. They spoke to me through a small opening of the sliding window. Did their thing, held up their EFTPOS machine inside the surgery window, I put my card to the window, and payment was made through sheet glass! The cat cage was picked up in a plastic sheet and re-deposited on the doorstep.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Interesting thread. I can only speak of our experiences to date, Babs and I go to Sainsbury's once a week for food and get there for 08.00hrs before it gets busy, cuts down on the possibility of infections, only Babs goes into the store and I wait in the car. That's our day out for the week unless we have to collect prescriptions.

Ordering prescriptions is now by telephone, we are not allowed to go to the surgery to drop them off any-more. Doctors' appointments are now by telephone and we are only seen if urgent. I think through this there will be a lot of illnesses that are/will be left undetected such as cancers etc due to this scheme!! :((

When we get mail all of it is sprayed with disinfectant before leaving for a while. Don't just assume that Covid is only caught through contact with other people!!

What really makes me angry is that Covid can be more of a threat to life for those who are elderly or with underlying health problems whereas with those who are young the symptoms are usually mild and this is where the biggest problem lays. University Students who will not/cannot be told of the importance not to congregate in large groups, young/ middle aged people who want to go out to the pubs during the evenings as well as on holidays as though this disease never existed and ignore all the warnings. :poke:

Maybe if Covid did hit the younger age groups badly instead, then they would not ignore the rules so easily as they do now!! :rant:

Just hope that all members here stay safe until a vaccine is found to be 100% effective. B-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Airspeed wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 12:12
Hi Graham, EDIT I NOW SEE THAT THIS ARTICLE IS 3 MONTHS OLD :doh:
Here's something for you:
UNITED KINGDOM

Sorry Mike, the question was how many have actually died.

The Health Secretary said the Covid-19 death rate among male shop workers is 75% higher than the general population, and 60% higher in women, underlining the urgent need for face coverings in public to protect the spread of coronavirus.

Ah, Mr. Project Fear himself. My thoughts on him - I wouldn't even buy a NEW car from him. The 75% and 60% could mean anything without put in context - i.e. figures for all

Graham

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

My mother is in her late 60’s, 37% heart function and is at risk. She complains about people not taking it seriously, yet her and her friends were happy enough to go out for lunch, perfectly legally, but every one of them “at risk.”

My point is we all take risks. We make informed choices. There is an abundance of information. We are all informed. We should all be free to make our own choices. Imho, Sweden have got it absolutely right.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Back again,
Graham, sorry I raced ahead like I did. :$
According to spreadsheets issued by UK statistics, for the period March to May 2020, Female Sales Assistants suffered deaths at the rate of 16 per 100,000; Nurses 15, Care Workers 26.
Male Sales Assistants 30, Nurses 50, Police 134. The food industry figures were much higher- everyone from Waiters to Bakers.
From my reading of the tables, men are dying at multiple the rates for women, and in general, Health Workers are at much greater risk than Retail Workers.
I got the spreadsheets from https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

I never thought that I would see a Conservative government preside over the destruction of our economy and removal of my freedoms as this lot have done. Don't tell me who I can meet in my own home. Let me make an informed decision based on various sources of information. Scientists advise their findings, it is not up to them to dictate policy.

The BBC never carry both sides of the arguement so we get an unbalanced view which has frightened our population witless.

Don't get me started :OB:

A life long Conservative voter but never again.

Nev

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

As far as I can see, whatever has been tried hasn't worked. When in a hole, stop digging. As true now as ever was.

Will someone please press the reset button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Totally agree Nev and have you noticed that all of these megalomaniacal pseudo dictators and advisors have incomes and pensions that don’t rely on a business being profitable?
Because England has three tiers, her mightiness here has to have five. I expect that if Boris had five she would have seven. It seems like all the political leaders are in a race to the bottom! :wall: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What you have to remember re the BBC is that their funding has been decimated and the only way they can justify their existence is with number of clicks, and the only way to do that is with click bait news.
Aside from the tabloid esq journalism which adorns the news homepage, I’m still a supporter. For one, the home education content they put together within a few weeks of lockdown, which was made available to everyone in the uk was superb. It was of a much higher standard than the “oak academy” tripe that the government spent 250m on. Their radio programming is still excellent. Their news is a disaster though, but the deteriorating quality of it can be seen over many years. They are being held over a barrel by successive governments and unfortunately can’t be independent as its very much if you don’t tow the party line we’ll remove your funding and ultimately Royal Charter. They’re even trying to stop channel 4 (who arguably have the best news coverage these days) being a not for profit. Control the media and control the public. I seem to remember a short Austrian fellow doing something similar.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage