Blacklisting, imported fonts. Two questions....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Blacklisting, imported fonts. Two questions....

Post by Airspeed »

I've had another day of this, and have discovered that the IP quoted in the red message is NOT my IP.
They quote 112.213.223.39
Is this the same address that other Members are shown?
As the address finishes with ".39", I'm guessing that it is either the 39th work station attached to a modem, or it is totally false.

Yesterday, I did the cmd sequence of ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew This, according to info. on the net, resets your IP address, but it did not stop me being blacklisted, again with that 112.213 etc number.

I checked my list of fonts yesterday, and found some icons showed unrecognised letters, being Thai, Arabic, etc. When I click on them, the "Quick brown fox....." pops up in the usual English-speaking letters.
One such is Andalus Regular, for which the file name is andlso_0.ttf
Another file is batang.ttc
In Windows, there's a facility to delete unwanted fonts, but like many others have apparently experienced, I get a message cannot delete, file in use.
The advice on the net is to use cmd, go to the fonts directory, and delete from there. Tried this, but got Access Denied response.
Please does anyone else have these fonts, are you able to delete them, and have you been blacklisted?
Thanks, any replies appreciated.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Blacklisting, imported fonts. Two questions....

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike, can you post a full screenshot of the blacklist error you get please.

Not sure about the fonts as I’ve never bothered deleting one, they don’t usually take up much space / cause a problem.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I have been blacklisted several times. I just wait a day or so and it seems to remedy itself. I would also like to point out it only seems to happen on this site.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Ben,
Next time it happens, I'll do a screen shot.
I've done them before, but I deleted them all off my disc recently.

By using "Run as Administrator", I've been able to delete several fonts, but not Batang
That Batang ttc file is 16,264,732kb by the way. (ttc is a collection, rather than a single ttf)
According to the file details, it's intended for Korea.

Hi Simon,
Only ever happens in the Forum for me, too. I can even use the PM system without trouble while the Forum blacklist is in force.
Turning the modem off for half an hour resets your IP, so unless you cop the same address when you switch on again, it supposedly fixes the problem, but I am not 100% on this.

Would appreciate anyone who has been blacklisted, checking their Windows/Fonts directory to see if they have Batang listed.
For comparison, anyone never blacklisted please check the same, Thanks.

There is some good news, another "Double Doughnut Day" for the State of Victoria; ZERO new COVID cases, ZERO COVID related deaths. That's SIX IN A ROW! :excited:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

I also seem to recall being blacklisted awhile back although when I tried sometime later I got in ok. Can’t recall when this was but as I use my iPad the majority of the time it would probably have been via Safari which uses Bing. Not sure if this is if any relevance. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I did a quick lookup and the IP address you mentioned is shown as a fixed line in Victoria, AU, from Southern Phone Corporation. Is it possible that you are seeing a different IP because your modem/router creates a different, internal network that your system is connected to? You have one fixed IP address linked to your physical connection to the internet, but internally, modems create a sub-network that the different computers/tablets/phones link to. If you want to check which IP address is associated with your modem, you may need to login on the modem itself.

ipconfig /renew only refreshes the computer's IP adress within the network it is attached to, so only on the sub-network within your home.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

There’s different types of blacklist and that’s why I’m looking for a screenshot. One is on IP address, another is where certain browser plug-ins make the server think you’re clicking on the submit button multiple times. It will have nothing to do with fonts and you really shouldn’t delete them unless you have a very good reason.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Archer and Ben,
Southern Phone is my provider, so your information would be spot on. I had no idea that there are levels of addresses. :$

My only reason for doubting the font, Ben, is that I have no reason to use a Korean font, and I wonder if it's been installed on my system so that Koreans can hijack and use my connection, leading to these blacklist events. :dunno:
I have no doubt of your need to see the screen shot, and I will supply one as soon as it becomes available.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

For information , I have never been blacklisted - although I am not a prolific poster now - and I do NOT have batang in my fonts for W10 loaded just about 12 months ago

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

cstorey wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 08:48
For information , I have never been blacklisted - although I am not a prolific poster now - and I do NOT have batang in my fonts for W10 loaded just about 12 months ago
Thanks Chris. ;)