Another Loss

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Another Loss

Post by Tomliner »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54838209
He never seemed to smile in his most popular roles. I think the word is lugubrious. He was great as Reggie’s brother in law Jimmy in The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin where he played a retired army officer who was often on the scrounge.
“ Got any spare eggs and bacon Reggie? Bit of a cock up on the old catering front”
The series was a bit off beat but with some brilliant characters such as CJ played by John Baron IIRC, who didn’t get where he was today etc
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Another Loss

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very sad to hear of this, thoroughly enjoyed watching him in Butterflies, always so miserable!!

RIP Geoffrey :(( and many thanks for all the laughs!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

A sad day again, I remember him from 'Butterflies' (a show that was a lot deeper and darker than first viewings might indicate) and also in 'As Time Goes By' where both lead actors played fantastic parts.

RIP Geoffrey. :(
Larry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Brilliant and funny. Yes Minister was just brilliant. Rest in peace.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I can’t recall him in Yes Minister Ben but as you say that and Yes Prime Minister were brilliant series. The radio versions were being repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra recently and they were very good. There was so much truth in those programmes about what goes on behind the scenes in politics. The three main characters were played by Paul Eddington Nigel Hawthorn and Derek Fowlds. :hello: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

He was also in Whoops Apocalypse the TV series not the film.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 14:31
A sad day again, I remember him from 'Butterflies' (a show that was a lot deeper and darker than first viewings might indicate) and also in 'As Time Goes By' where both lead actors played fantastic parts.

RIP Geoffrey. :(
I agree, Larry, he was very good in Butterflies. His most recent role that I can remember was as Field Marshall Haig, in the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Wasn't aware of some of the series mentioned above.
Sad to hear of his death, though it sounds like it was a peaceful end, and 93's not bad going. R.I.P.
I must say how refreshing it is to see that "programme" still exists in some peoples' vocabulary.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Sad news indeed! "As Time Goes By" and "Yes Minister" still run on WETA-UK here and I also remember him in "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perin."
A superb actor! Rest in peace Geoffrey!

Nigel²

PS. Mike, I just used "Programme" in an email to a friend of mine, rather ironically, to tell her what times "As Time Goes By" airs on the telly. I do it as a rebellion against the lazy Colonial spelling habits. :agree: Well in America, they haven't used it (English) for years!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

"Lazy Colonial spelling habits" Nigel?? True dat! :lol: But seriously, Geoffrey and Dame Judi Dench were amazing in 'As Time Goes By'. A great show. I can't hear the word 'Kenya' without thinking of Geoffrey. Rest in peace, sir. :(

Brian