Emergency landing...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Emergency landing...

Post by Filonian »

If that idiot in the car in front had his wits about it and had put his foot down that would have been a perfect landing!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-55184326

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Emergency landing...

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I think calling the diver ahead an 'idiot' is somewhat harsh. Rear view and door mirrors are angled to show what is behind and to the side of you. Not what is behind and above you. The driver ahead would therefore not be aware of what was happening until the plane was practically upon them. You can see the brake lights of the two cars behind come on at the same time. This is the point at which the aircraft becomes visible to the drivers and they are looking forward. The driver ahead was possible also confused/shocked as to what was happening (they would have had at most a second or so to figure it out).
I'm just pleased that it all ended well with no-one hurt.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I agree with Kevin, looking at the video the driver had 3 seconds from the time the aircraft touched down and its wing impacted the car, having spent a lot of time on american freeways your more concerned with what's in front or beside you, the aircraft would be coming up on his blind spot with only the wingtip in the mirrors and given the frequency aircraft landing on freeways (very rare) I can't fault the driver much. I don't even think the DMV drivers handbook even mentions what to do when an aircraft is landing on the road beside you.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Come on, you blokes,
Graham was just having a joke about spoiling a good landing. :lol:
I'm not sure how I'd react if I saw strobe lights right behind me, but I hope that I wouldn't slow down. :dunno:
Hard to tell the relative speeds at that distance; even accelerating may not have helped.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Maybe US highways are wider than UK motorways but I have often pondered if I would try a motorway if I had an engine failure in a single engine aeroplane, the answer is almost emphatically NO, the risk of hitting the wingtips on lampposts is WAY too high given the average light aircraft wingspan and width of carriageways in UK.
Pilot was extremely lucky!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

adysmith wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 06:20
Maybe US highways are wider than UK motorways but I have often pondered if I would try a motorway if I had an engine failure in a single engine aeroplane, the answer is almost emphatically NO, the risk of hitting the wingtips on lampposts is WAY too high given the average light aircraft wingspan and width of carriageways in UK.
Pilot was extremely lucky!
We've had some landings on main roads, but I don't think on freeways. Interfering poles and wires have generally made a mess of things, BUT I think that if I had the choice between hitting a factory wall, or risking my luck on a road, I would not choose the factory.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

I can just imagine the insurance claim form,

'My car was hit by an aeroplane whilst it was trying to land'

'Yeah, of course it was'.

Nev

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

The only idiot here was the pilot of the aircraft . What he did was a recipe for a catastrophic outcome, not only for him, but more importantly, for quite a number of completely innocent third parties

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

The only idiot here was the pilot of the aircraft .
Think that is a bit harsh on the pilot, after all it was dark and the only lighting around apart from minor roads and houses was the motorway. Had it been me I would not chance trying to land in a field that I could not make out!

Another point is that the pilot would also have been frantically trying to restart the engine so as to avoid a crash landing but without success so a decision has to be made and I would certainly not criticise him making that call to land on the motorway, he was obviously aware of the traffic and did the best he could, a life or death decision ;)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Interesting : having supervised literally hundreds of practice forced landings in my time as an instructor, I never once had a student suggest an attempt to land on a road . I stand by what I said : it was a stroke of pure luck that this pilot did not cause an absolute catastrophe

Edit : I should also add that the only instance known to me in the UK of an aeroplane crash landing ( inadvertently ) on the M62 motorway on short finals for RW 09 at Barton sadly produced catastrophic injury ( leg amputations ) to occupants of one of several vehicles with which the Max Holste Broussard G-BKPU collided
Last edited by cstorey on 06 Dec 2020, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.