Bomber Command WWII recollections extracts

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Bomber Command WWII recollections extracts

Post by Airspeed »

Tomliner wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 08:34
Hi Mike. I hope you enjoy reading it and aren’t disappointed. If you’re interested in reading first hand accounts of a WW2 fighter pilots I can recommend ‘First Light’ by Geoffrey Wellum. He wasn’t one the top scorers but his book captures the atmosphere of the period. It’s a paperback and I think it’s still in print because it’s still on the shelves in book shops. :hello: EricT
Thanks Eric, I'll look into that. ;)
I read "Reach for the Sky" when I was much younger.
Haven't really read a lot of wartime books, as my interest has been in the developmental pressure on aviation aspect of conflict, rather than guns and bombs.
When I put up that "Bitzer" question about the tail markings of bomber leaders, I realised that I knew little about Bomber Command, and got stuck into some education. :agree:
I find that these personal stories are very light on the bangs and flashes, and are very readable. If they were Army or Navy stories, I would find it hard to pick them up.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Mike, I have just found a book amongst the many I have of aviation, 'Bomber Flight Berlin' it is written by Mike Rossiter. It tells the story of one particular crew out of the many thousands that flew during World War 2. Between May 1943 and May 1944 Geoffrey King, skipper George Laing and their crew flew thirty missions over Germany. They trusted each other so much that after their tour they were determined to stay together. They refused to take leave and be split up that they immediately volunteered for another tour. Well recommend this book for you Mike.

Also found this video on You Tube that will interest or should, interest every-one. Former Lancaster Pilot Jack Currie who was stationed at RAF Wickenby. (I used to fly from there with a 617 Vulcan crew fifty years ago who was also one of the instructors at the gliding club at Swinderby).

Runs for 27 minutes and taken from documentary made in 1980 (hence quality a bit poor). Jack Currie also wrote the book 'Lancaster Target'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tH8OVAICjQ

Another documentary from Jack Currie is also well worth watching. The Watchtower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNhloNCsdM

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Nigel H-J wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 13:25
Hi Mike, I have just found a book amongst the many I have of aviation, 'Bomber Flight Berlin' it is written by Mike Rossiter. It tells the story of one particular crew out of the many thousands that flew during World War 2. Between May 1943 and May 1944 Geoffrey King, skipper George Laing and their crew flew thirty missions over Germany. They trusted each other so much that after their tour they were determined to stay together. They refused to take leave and be split up that they immediately volunteered for another tour. Well recommend this book for you Mike.

Also found this video on You Tube that will interest or should, interest every-one. Former Lancaster Pilot Jack Currie who was stationed at RAF Wickenby. (I used to fly from there with a 617 Vulcan crew fifty years ago who was also one of the instructors at the gliding club at Swinderby).

Runs for 27 minutes and taken from documentary made in 1980 (hence quality a bit poor). Jack Currie also wrote the book 'Lancaster Target'.

Another documentary from Jack Currie is also well worth watching. The Watchtower:

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the links etc.
Jack Currie's "Lancaster Target" was one of the four that I recently read. His book contained more distressing/angering bits than the others, including the tale of the fighter pilot who appeared at their base, and dished out insolence to his superiors. Turned out that he was a nephew of some galah in the Air Ministry, so the CO backed off and left him to it. :rant:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Eric,
Are you SURE this is the right book?
I'm at the bottom of page one, and no women have even started to undress yet. :|
:hide:

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Eric,
Are you SURE this is the right book?
I'm at the bottom of page one, and no women have even started to undress yet. :|
Did I not mention the orgy at the end of the book? Keep reading Mike. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Nigel H-J wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 13:25
Hi Mike, ....

Regards
Nigel.
Nigel,Many thanks for those links!
Watched them both, and was fascinated to see some of the places mentioned in the "Lancaster Target" book, and to hear the names of his aircrew spoken by him.
I tend to forget about ghosts here, though I spent my early UK childhood years in fear of them. Bit chilling to see them mentioned again in "Watchtower"

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Covid thing, we think possibly came from one of grandkids, Mrs came down with it first so took a test, was inevitable I would catch it too of course.
Went down with high temp, dry cough and granddaddy of all headaches, didn't get out of bed for 10 days generally felt like I'd been run over by a bus, everything except water tasted ( and still does taste off to a certain degree) turkey dinner was like blotting paper on Xmas Day. Think I'm over the hump now Mrs is for sure. Still very wobbly on my feet with general dizziness and vertigo.

Its not nice and not just like the flu at all

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very sorry to hear that you and your wife had caught Covid but really pleased to hear that both of you are on the road to recovery.

Both my wife and I are keeping well out of the way of other people as we are both 'High Risk'. What concerns me most is that it appears school children can be carriers with little or no effects to their health whereas adults can and will catch it from them, maybe all school children should also be vaccinated as how on earth is the Covid going to be completely erased from the UK?

With the Sars crisis in 2002 it took 2 years to contain it having originated in China and spread to Asian countries as well as some Western Countries, during the infection period, there were 8,098 reported cases of SARS and 774 deaths. By no means as bad as that we are currently experiencing with Covid 19.

Let us just hope there will be some light from this very dark tunnel we are presently in.

Stay safe!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Pete,
For what it's worth, we're thinking of you.
Keep us posted, won't you? ;)

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Speedy recovery to you and your good lady Pete. :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.