Bomber Command WWII recollections extracts

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Bomber Command WWII recollections extracts

Post by Motormouse »

Thanks all, we are over the worst now it seems, both of us still have general dizziness and bouts of vertigo
The local NHS website says this could last another7-10 days

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I hope it's that soon, Pete, there have been reports of long term ongoing effects.
Have the infectious youngsters shown any ill effects?

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Apparently the grandkids were a bit grotty for couple of days that's all. They're all isolating at home now.

Ttfn
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tomliner wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 10:02
Several years ago I read a book called ‘The Eight Passenger’ by Miles Tripp who I think was an Australian Lancaster pilot. Many years postwar he decided to trace as many of his crew as possible to find out if they suffered any lasting after effects. It’s worth reading if you can find a copy. :) EricT
I located a copy of this.
The other 4 cost $9 each, whilst "The Eighth Passenger" set me back $46.
This was cheap compared to most other copies which I found, asking price over £100.
Was it worth 5 times the other books? Part two concentrated on the post-war interviews.
More than half of his crew suffered ulcers, but no irrefutable proof that this was service related.
Somewhat surprisingly, mental damage was no big deal.
I privately mentioned to Eric that I had mixed feelings during the reading. This was because of the following:
Team Spirit?
The author (bomb aimer) and the flight engineer disliked each other for the duration of their time together, and there was mistrust of the tail gunner as a possible security leak (later proved incorrect).
Performance?
As with the other books, they lost their way more than once.
On at least one occasion, the bomb aimer deliberately missed the target as he did not want to bomb Cologne.
Following orders?
The author went AWOL numerous times, to visit his girlfriend for pre-marital sex.
He travelled beyond the permitted distances to do the above, thus flouting security and fuel usage.
Honesty?
He stole petrol from RAF vehicles for his motor bike.
My feelings of admiration were often adjusted by this information.
I wasn't looking for a fun, happy ever after book, and I am grateful for the warts and all description of his experience.
It had a dimension not present in those cheaper publications. I don't regret spending $46, but I'm glad that I didn't spend over £100 on it.
it also mentions a number of other similar topic books that I may look out for.
Overall, I'm glad that I read it, and, like Eric, I would say that if you have an interest, and get the chance, it's worth reading.
Thanks Eric. :thumbsup: