My wife told me.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

My wife told me.

Post by 511Flyer »

:doh:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: My wife told me.

Post by Nigel H-J »

:-O OMG!! This lockdown has really had an effect on you. :doh:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Oh, dear!
We heard that one in fifty British people have had COVID19.
We've only had one report of a sufferer on this Forum.
Are others keeping quiet about it, or are we just not statistically compliant?

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

More a case that all the statistics are b0110x
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think the issue is that while lots of people may have it, 75% will have no symptoms at all. The vaccine also doesn't stop people getting the virus, or transmitting it. It just makes the recipient of the vaccine more likely to fight it off (like the other 75% of the general population.)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

You folks really don't like your government information, do you?
The other news was that 1,000 people were dying from it each day in the UK, and about 35,000 new cases daily.
Can't we believe ANY of this? :dunno:

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I think that everyone should be issued with an electron microscope then we could "see" for ourselves :thumbsup:
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

1000 deaths where the last illness attributed was COVID. Its like someone who is terminally ill dying from hypothermia or similar. The huge issue we have is that our health service can't cope. That's the real problem. You cannot stop a virus. By design (its design) it will mutate. What we and other governments are trying to do is to save the health services so that people with other illnesses can actually be treated as normal. There's a genuine question to ask in that whether spending over a trillion pounds so far to prop up the economy while locking everyone up is the best use of money. There is a school of thought that says given 75% of the population will have no symptoms and can fight it off without even knowing it, these people should be free to go about there business and the funding should be ploughed into medical resources and protecting those who are known to be vulnerable (i.e. a targeted lockdown for those who need protecting). When you consider the population of the UK for example is circa 70m the deaths are a very small percentage (no less tragic) and of those deaths in excess of 50% where expected to pass of another condition within 12 months anyway.

My personal view is that we all need to become more open about our own mortality. It will come to us all. I always remember our dear friend Ian, and I was struck by his courage and pragmatism. This is what I hope to be like. It isn't something that scares me, its inevitable, and I don't know when it will come. Although I confess I'm a wimp so I'll take whatever pain relief I can get :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I think one of the biggest problems in the UK is that people are not taking this Covid seriously enough. Both Babs and I are at home and shielding however, we do go out to the supermarket once a week and that is early morning before the majority arrive. It is amazing from where I sit in the car waiting for her to come out of the supermarket is how many shoppers do not sanitise their hands on entering, the sanitisers are there at the entrance and free to use!! :rant: Going home we pass a few schools and we all know how many schools have had positive tests of their pupils yet these parents and Grand Parents all stand around with others and wearing no protective masks, that again really annoys me. :rant:

If we are to have any chance of reducing Covid then people are going to have to step up and take precautions and not just assume because I am young I will not get it so bad. Wrong, this Covid could possibly mutate into new forms that are immune to the vaccine and if that should ever happen then we will certainly be in the sh*te!!

I am not scared of death.......Just the manner of dying. If I could choose it would be that I never wake up after going to sleep but having been seriously ill and in a lot of pain when in hospital for life saving surgery in 2010 I just hope when my time comes it will be more or less free of pain!! :worried:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

...RANT ON

As far as I am concerned the virus is real, deadly (to some) and is not being effectively controlled by the mass populations around the world and the gross stupidity of a few is making it worse for the many!

Back in the UK I have had a cousin affected in the first wave. She was young(ish), a single-mother, working at a care home and she got it from an outbreak that ran through the old folks in the home. She was quite ill for a couple of weeks and as she lived with her elderly parents (my aunt and uncle) there was a major concern that she would pass it on to them which would not have been good as her father has cancer and is on radiation and chemo so didn't need COVID on top of that! Thankfully she recovered most of her health but not all of it yet.

In the past week I learned that another uncle (younger brother to my late mother who died in March last year and older brother to the aunt above) had died of COVID. He was in his late 80's or early 90's and had a mild stroke in early December and had been taken in to his local hospital for observation and stabilization. He was let out in the week before Xmas after passing a COVID test. On Boxing Day he was rushed back into hospital with difficulty breathing and died the next day from COVID. It turns out the guy in the next bed to him in the stroke ward had COVID too and passed it around to everyone else!

I am sorry for the way things are going in the UK as it seems much worse over there than here. We still have it in Canada and we are going through a second wave too and the new strains have arrived from the UK but for the most part people are taking precautions and trying to look after each other (although we too have d!ckheads who think it's OK to flout rules that are there to help EVERYONE!) We are currently in lock-down again in the Province of Ontario and are supposed to go outside for essential trips to work, shops, medical appointments etc. only. Non-essential stores can run a kerb-side pick-up service but you cannot enter the store. Essential stores (mostly food and medicines etc.) are running at half capacity and masks MUST be worn with hands sanitized before entry and after exiting and staff members are standing at the sanitation stations to make sure the rules are complied with, no mask no entry! Once inside strict social distancing is also in force to keep people 2m (6ft) apart in aisles. I am very grateful that I live in a county that has had continually low numbers so far (although they are currently rising) despite being surrounded by counties with much higher numbers both in total and per capita.The county authorities are very active in trying to control the spread and for the most part are succeeding. It was recently noted that groups from outside the county were booking the majority of time slots in places like ice hockey rinks, curling clubs and other indoor sports places as our venues were still open (with social distancing) while neighbouring counties had shut their facilities. The council then enacted a bylaw stating that during the lock-down only people who lived in the county could rent space/time in these facilities to stop any possible spread of the virus from outside the county. Large gatherings are banned during the lock-down but we have been having a repeating problem with one particular religious sect that think the local laws do not apply to them and that they can do as they please. They have been holding regular religious services on weekends with more than 100 people in attendance with no social distancing or mask wearing inside. The Police finally got on their case and shut them down two weeks ago and arrested and fined the person who owned up to instigating the meeting. The next weekend they were at it again and again the Police were called and they arrested and fined the person who owned up (a different person this time and a brother to the first person). We will have to see what happens on this coming weekend to see if the idiots persist in their stupidity! What the Police should be doing is arresting/fining every adult in attendance rather than someone who claims to be the organizer as they will just put up a different person to take the blame every week and carry on flouting the law with relative impunity!

There are reasons for all the precautions and the life cycle of the virus is well known and it isn't rocket science to understand a few basic facts:
1. The virus needs a host in order to replicate and the most convenient hosts are human-beings and a few animal species.
2. The virus is spread in droplets breathed out by infected people.
3. The lifetime of the virus is very limited on surfaces (hard or soft) and can easily be killed by common cleaning agents. It also does not replicate itself on said surfaces as it needs the right conditions provided by it's host.
4. The virus is static and cannot propel itself in any way and relies on it's host to spread it around.
5. The way to stop the pandemic is to stop spreading it around and humans are the major spreaders of the virus...PERIOD!
6. Wearing a mask will (a) help to stop you inhaling the virus and (b) stop you spreading infected droplets around if you are infected.
7. Sanitizing hands and surfaces regularly will kill any virus cells lurking on those surfaces.
8. Keep your distance, the virus cannot walk, swim, fly or teleport in order to move around and needs a host to do that.

Sorry for the rant but I am tired of the worldwide stupidity that has befallen our race recently. Homo sapiens are supposed to be intelligent creatures but I think the average intelligence level has dropped considerably over the last decade or so and it is seriously undermining the future of the human race on this planet! I know I am not as intelligent as I once was due to my health issues (I once qualified for entry into MENSA) but the current state of affairs with this pandemic and our neighbours to the south just saddens me that we, as a race, have become so unthinking, selfish and brain-dead!

...RANT OFF!
Larry