Electrickery

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Electrickery

Post by Airspeed »

Received the attached letter.
I think that someone will get the sack over this.Image
Don't they know that prices only ever go UP?
And the envelope that the last bill came in had a tempting message on it.Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Electrickery

Post by Nigel H-J »

We keep on getting letters from our energy supplier wanting us to go onto a smart meter that will read our usage and saves having some-one come round to read the meter.

So far we have refused though we know that it will eventually have to be installed, but to keep asking when we are in the middle of Covid 19 then they can go and take a running jump, no-way are we having a stranger in to fit it regardless of whether he/she has been tested.

Another point that worries me is that none of the fitters who install these meters are Corgi Registered, they have been trained but only to Level 2 Diploma in Gas Installation and Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation but some customers have had them fitted then changed their supplier and as a result the smart meters went dumb!!

If and when we do have one installed we are going to have our gas fitter and electricity chap come round and inspect the work, just in case.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Electrickery

Post by Herkpilot1 »

Not a big deal. I've had wireless utility meters for 5 or 6 years. The install was painless. The electric meter took less than a minute, unplugged old meter, plugged in new. Gas took a little longer, as they modified the existing meter. They removed the face plate over the mechanical dial and attached small interface box over it. Water meter, I don't know how long as I wasn't aware of it being done. Where I live, meters are all mounted to exterior of home except for water which is in small vault in sidewalk, so your experience may be different.

Advantages: I can monitor my consumption in real time on line, no longer have strangers entering my yard to read meters. When there are power outages, electric company can quickly pin point affected areas as well as local supply circuits and equipment. Prevented two years of rate increases.

Disadvantage: My electric Company now prices by time of use. Water company can message me in real time that I'm wasting water on irrigation.