Covid and me

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Covid and me

Post by Motormouse »

Hi chaps, as I told about on another thread, I had a dose of the Covid-19 over Xmas, I thought I had recovered, but it appears its left me a going away present in the form of 'Sticky blood more prone to clotting, and a blood clot in my lungs( pulmonary embolism)

So if you've had it and still have odd symptoms 4 weeks on, go and get checked, it could have killed me, but now on a 3month course of blood thinners and blood pressure tablets, and many follow-up clinics

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Covid and me

Post by Airspeed »

Pete,
Though I said on the other thread about it often having lasting effects, I didn't expect to hear this awful news from you.
Thank goodness they identified it, and have started treatment.
How's the rest of the Family recovering?
Even more than usual - Look after yourself. :thumbsup:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Pete, good to hear that you were diagnosed fairly early on and have it treated, hoping that this will be the last of it for you and that an improvement in health follows.

We are still awaiting our first inoculations and as we are both clinically extremely vulnerable, it won't be too long now but even after having it and without a second vaccination for quite some time, I do not think that we will be out of the woods for quite some time to come!! :(( In fact we have cancelled any thoughts of going away this year and as for day trips out we will wait to see what the summer brings. My feelings are that judging on peoples' reactions to lockdown and the way it has been abused, then we may have a longer wait until this virus is completely killed off.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55778930

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Family is all on the mend thanks.

I think one of biggest issues is folks thinking its just like the flu, when clearly from my experience it most certainly isn't, and that's why the various stay at home orders are being ignored by those that believe all they read on twitter and the like

Ttfn

Pete

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Glad you're on the mend, Pete, and thanks for the sound advice. :thumbsup:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Glad to hear that you have recovered from Covid & family OK too. As for 'sticky blood' & a pulmonary embolism, I had one of those way back in 2000, possibly caused by a DVT 6 months earlier - flight to Los Angeles on business 24 hours door to door sitting most of time - then a holiday in france driving
from N wales to the Dordogne - all possible DVT causes.
I had not thought that the pain in my leg was anything other than a trapped nerve. As it was I reported to our nurse at work when I suffered a funny feeling in my chest, she immediately fed me aspirin, wrote a letter to my Doc, sent me home to report immediately to Doctor who sent me immediately to Shrewsbury A&E. Doctor on duty could not explain symptoms so placed me on the heart ward. He came to check up on me later (he was exhausted - been on duty 24 hours!) & thought he would send me home next day. As it turned out I was sent to treadmill - fully wired for sound & vision) with a pulse rate of 120+ when sitting! Treadmill started & pulse rate went to 180, I said I feel faint & I fell backwards - blacked out! Came to with oxygen connected & wheeled up to ward. Wife was there as was already told of my situation (possibly dead!).
Month or two later blood analysed & found to have a 'leiden factor 5' type of blood which is inherited - my son likewise so my father & his father possibly similarly affected ( g'father died aged 36 of heart failure my father was 69 from heart attack).
Medicine is warfarin in my case, clopidogeral for my son. Blood tests for me every month, son once a year! I later found out from my GP, that the Hospital had never witnessed my problem before & that quite a few other lives were later saved having learned from my case. Our work nurse though must have had similar cases to tend to as she was ex SRN.
So Pete you may have similar blood type & your embolism most likely from a vein - possibly due to the Covid cough(?) If it was from an artery then a stroke is more likely.
Sorry for the long winded story, but might be useful to others reading this.
Keith

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

They no longer give warfarin down here, too many complications I was told, I'm on something called Apixaban

The doctors treating me ( I was in hospital for 3 days this past week) said post covid ( or long covid)
Blood clots are very common, peeps like me that had it and thought they had recovered are having strokes and heart attacks

Cheers

Pete

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Warfarin can take a longish time to establish a regular dose, as well as keeping a regular level of vitamin K - calabraise for example can muck up the schedule. There is also the time taken to test each person, although here in Dorset the local surgery has an electronic tester that takes just a pinprick of blood as opposed to a test tube full & send off to lab that happens in Wiltshire/Oxfordshire.
Will look up your medicine.
Good luck & keep safe
Regards
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Dev One wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 15:10
Sorry for the long winded story, but might be useful to others reading this.
Keith
Too right, Keith. Knowledge is essential. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Glad you are going the right way Pete and also that the family are on the mend.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.