Amazon Economical with the Replacement

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Amazon Economical with the Replacement

Post by chrispbits »

Just had an interesting experience with Amazon. Our broadband went down completely last Friday evening. Suspecting a BT router problem (as last year - the current one had been brought out of storage because the previous one died) I ordered a new Asus router/dsl modem from Amazon (Asus DSL AC68U). The new one arrived on Saturday - good stuff but that also turned out to be faulty. Message from BT on Monday to say Broadband should be back to normal but the Asus router was having none of it. I should have retested the BT router but there you go.

It turns out the Asus router was U/S so returns completed and a replacement ordered. When the replacement was dispatched the link was to a refurbished version of the router. Somewhat peed off I got in touch with Amazon who said no worries it will be a new one. The replacement arrived this morning looking quite a bit the worse for wear. The amount of dust underneath the plastic shrink wrap was considerable. At the very least this router had been stored in poor conditions for some time and probably not well looked after. Anyway replacement rejected for a full refund. I may or may not get a proper "new" one from Amazon when the refund comes through.

The point of this is that routers are valuable assets that ought to give many years of good service. If we cannot be sure that these items are new when delivered then effectively we are accepting a potentially aged asset with all that that implies. I know there's often a lag between build and availability but this particular router looked very much the old lag.