Prince Philip

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Prince Philip

Post by nigelb »

Sad news indeed. My condolences to Her Majesty and the Royal Family. RIP Prince Phillip.

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I'll miss his wit.
Condolences to HM and the royal family.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Brian Franklin wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 20:17
Very Sad but not unexpected. He has not looked well for a long time. RIP Sir
Those last shots of him coming out of hospital I just knew he was being sent home as nothing more could be done. You saw a man who knew this was it and bravely facing it. Both myself and a friend, a retired nurse, said it.Almost the same when you see King George waving off Elizabeth and him at the airport, you see a man who knows he isn't going to see her again.

My thoughts are with the Queen. I was devastated when I lost my wife after 32 years of being together, but 74 years dreadful. I hope she deals with it as she wants and is allowed to do so without media intrusion.

However I saw him many times as a PC in Westminster. The first time I saw him was as a child at Cowes when he nearly sunk in a yacht with Uffa Fox. Later that day he had a narrow miss from a collapsing crane.

My next encounter was as a Police Cadet at one of the rehearsals for the Trooping in 1973. I was lining round the front of Buck House. Nobody had told me to salute the colours despite being furled and he gave me a really glaring look from his horse. If looks could kill he would have got life. However all subsequent encounters passed without hitch.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

spot
Trident
Trident

Post by spot »

My thoughts are with the Queen. Sad loss of a great man..

Brian.
Low and slow, the way to go ;)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

A very sad event , although not unexpected . I believe that he saved the Monarchy for us by his down to earth approach to life. A colleague of mine was at the Burghley Horse Trials, and an old buffer came up and sat next to him on a shooting stick , and they had a very long conversation on wide ranging topics. He felt he was familiar but could not put a finger on it. It was only when he got home and watched highlights on TV that he realised it was the D of E ......

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

simondix wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 07:37
Brian Franklin wrote:
However I saw him many times as a PC in Westminster. The first time I saw him was as a child at Cowes when he nearly sunk in a yacht with Uffa Fox. Later that day he had a narrow miss from a collapsing crane.
Ah the crane on Uffa's Quay, I knew it well, Dad was sailing crew in Coweslip for 1971 and 1972, I spent both those summers hanging around Uffa's house; one memory that sticks out ( besides meeting the Royals) is watching Tom and Jerry cartoons with Uffa

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Motormouse wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 10:19
simondix wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 07:37
Brian Franklin wrote:
Ah the crane on Uffa's Quay, I knew it well, Dad was sailing crew in Coweslip for 1971 and 1972, I spent both those summers hanging around Uffa's house; one memory that sticks out ( besides meeting the Royals) is watching Tom and Jerry cartoons with Uffa

Ttfn

Pete
Had no idea who Uffa was so I pulled up Wikipedia and read this..."His character is perhaps best indicated by an escapade whereby he led a group of Sea Scouts, without their parents' consent (they thought it was a weekend sailing camp), across the English Channel and up the Seine to within a few kilometres of Paris in a 25 ft open boat." :lol:

Brian

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

That he did.

I can only describe him as a rascal; he loved a practical joke; his work is to be frank under appreciated by the masses he designed the airborne lifeboat in ww2, so that it could be operated and sailed by non sailors, parachuted from a Whitley or Warwick into the sea and not sink, and carry enough rations for a whole bomber crew to survive for a week.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

This is really really annoying, Meghan Markle has now said that she is willing to forgive the Royal Family after Prince Philip's death.

My thoughts about that are unprintable!! :rant:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Nigel H-J wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 16:20
This is really really annoying, Meghan Markle has now said that she is willing to forgive the Royal Family after Prince Philip's death.

My thoughts about that are unprintable!! :rant:

Nigel.
Blimey, her ego! .... astonishing. 8)
Alex