Life, Death and all that

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Life, Death and all that

Post by Airspeed »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not equating these these entities, but:
Comments regarding Dave, and the sad news about Prince Phillip, coming on top of the death of our Daughter's dog recently, reminds us of our processes in dealing with the event.
It is evident from ancient burial discoveries, that whether we have branded religious beliefs or not, the whole business of dying makes us mark the happening with some kind of feeling that some mysterious thing continues after death.
For example, we send greetings to Dave, there will be gatherings, parades, thousands more speeches and ceremonies for the Prince. The dog mentioned was handled with respect, placed in a grave with her favourite toy and some pears, which she enjoyed eating during life.
No matter what era, what part of Earth, people have obviously done this for ever.
Not usually front-of-mind, but sometimes we are prompted to think about it. Probably just a way for the living to handle the unimaginable. :dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Life, Death and all that

Post by Nigel H-J »

Mike, I have also wondered what actually happens after death though have had a few things happen to me to know that there is a spirit of some form that continues when the body dies.

35 years ago, I had a flat and four friends came up late one evening, now five of us could not possibly be accused of making this up as it did really happen. One of the friends had mentioned some time ago that she always felt a presence following her and that night she suddenly became tense and frightened with good cause. by the kitchen sink was a cupboard and one almighty bang as though someone had kicked it followed by heavy breathing. Previously because of her fear we took her to see the local vicar just prior to this happening and he gave her a cross and told her, the next time you feel a presence, hold the cross up and repeat the words Holy Spirit.

I can tell you now this is what I did as she had placed the cross on the mantlepiece and was too frightened to move, as were the others. We left my flat and went straight over to the vicar who said that he was expecting this to happen.

He came straight round to my flat and blessed all the rooms as well as where she lived but one evening when I was about to leave the house where my flat was I saw through the frosted glass front door a male wearing a trilby type hat and what appeared to be a cream raincoat stood on the other side
So I moved slightly away turning my head thinking that he was going to open the door, when I looked back he was no longer there.

Many of you might not believe this but I can tell you now, that neither one of us had any alcohol, they had just come over for a coffee and chat.

I do believe that there is some form of life after death in the spiritual sense, another occasion I experienced was after I had taken my dog to the vets after a stroke and had to have her put down. I was in the bedroom a few days later when something made me look up to the bed and I was absolutely sure I saw the black outline of a dog on the bed and just felt that it was Tara, our Belgium Shepherd. She was 13 years old bless her and I have kept her lead in the bedside table since she was put down! :((

I could give another account of spiritual events and one of these continues to happen on one of the floors of City Hall where our C.C.T.V. Control Room is located as the building is actually where the Roman Wall is still in place but think I have written enough already. I do, even after experiencing things that I have seen and heard, wonder what will actually happen to me when the time eventually comes. :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I think that wondering what happens to your self/thought processes/soul after you die is on a level when you think of what was there before the big bang.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I read an article recently where they stated that it's possible for a person to hear themselves pronounced 'dead'. Even though your heart has stopped,
and you're pronounced 'dead', your brain has a bit of life still in it. *shudder* :worried:

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

FlyTexas wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 08:38
I read an article recently where they stated that it's possible for a person to hear themselves pronounced 'dead'. Even though your heart has stopped,
and you're pronounced 'dead', your brain has a bit of life still in it. *shudder* :worried:

Brian
We heard on a science programme that the brain has scavenger cells which flush out any dead or damaged brain cells. When you die, the scavengers go into overdrive, as brain cells are dropping off their perches in droves, and the scavengers are trying to clear the decks. They said it's not evidence of continuing brain function, so no knowledge, but this activity continues for several hours post mortem.
On the subject of honouring the dead, I remembered after posting, that elephants visit their herd boneyards. I've seen film of them gently picking up the bones, inspecting them and returning them to the ground. Seems that we're not the only ones. *-)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

When I worked for the MOD, I did a facility inspection on a building, and was told by the USAF occupants of unexplained occurrences, like doors slamming, pictures jumping off walls, lights being turned on and off and so on. Two years later, when the same building came round for its next inspection, the new occupants told the same story. Eventually, the building became redundant, and was put on a care-and-maintenance footing. One man would do the rounds, checking the place was secure, no rain water getting in, that sort of thing. Sure enough, after a few weeks, he was also talking about how previously locked doors were being opened, lights switched on, that sort of thing. I never personally witnessed anything in there, but too many people had experiences to write it off as imaginings or hallucinations.

Away from that place, at other times in my life, I have had my own experiences which still puzzle me after decades. None were great revelations of the meaning of life, but they did indicate that something exists in parallel with the physical world and can't be seen from it. As for life after death, I'll go with the Gnostics - we all come from the one same thing at the beginning of life, and return to it at the end. Some sort of life force which dips into and out of biological entities.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Its ok chaps, I can save you all the puzzlement. The answer is....

You're welcome 8)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 10:01
On the subject of honouring the dead, I remembered after posting, that elephants visit their herd boneyards. I've seen film of them gently picking up the bones, inspecting them and returning them to the ground. Seems that we're not the only ones. *-)
They're just looking for loose change, mate.
:wasntme:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

TSR2 wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 16:51
Its ok chaps, I can save you all the puzzlement. The answer is....

You're welcome 8)
:lol: :lol:

Brian