A very significant moment

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

A very significant moment

Post by cstorey »

Yesterday saw the occurrence of the first ( AFAIK ) crash of a hydrogen fuel cell powered aircraft . The US registered Piper Malibu force landed and broke up in a field near Cranfield . Fortunately, no fire or explosion and no one injured

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/254076

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: A very significant moment

Post by Airspeed »

History in the making, Christopher.
Given the previous history of hydrogen and accidents, the occupants may be very lucky. Still, I don't know how the hydrogen is stored in the current cells, it may be virtually bomb-proof. An avenue for self education.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

In case there is another Member who was as ignorant as me:
I've had a speed read on this, and see that whilst Airbus seem to have stepped away, RR are continuing with hydrogen fuel cells.
The hydrogen is carried in liquid form, so there would be potentially a large source of fuel for an explosion.
The technology goes back to the 1800s, but it's only been during the last 60 years or so, that technology has boosted the power output to useful levels.
The space industry has been using these cells since the Moon missions.
Any errors are due to my lack of understanding.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If a gas is stored in the right way it’s safer that traditional petrol / kerosene etc. When the gas explodes the energy is dissipated by the explosion, but it’s done in a second. Liquid fuels spread and burn in a much less controlled way and are actually more dangerous. I was told this by a neighbour who had worked as Edinburgh airport fire fighter before moving to Lothian and Borders fire fighters. It actually makes sense when you think about it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Ben - I wonder if your neighbour had ever seen the film footage of the Hindenburg disaster ? If he had I think his confidence would have been more than a little dented :worried:

( and of course the R101 fared little better )

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

His point is if it’s stored properly. He used the example of the Manchester air disaster. It would have been a big explosion, but apparently less fire from gas and less fatalities. Also easier for rescue services to rescue survivors without having to deal with flammable liquid fuel. He’s not the only person I’ve heard say this, although the other gentleman was talking about road traffic accidents if vehicles were lpg fuelled. He made similar comments about survivability and rescuing the injured.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »