" Tank" dug up in Lincolnshire.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

" Tank" dug up in Lincolnshire.

Post by Paul K »

At least they eventually explain what an LVT is. An interesting find and in very good condition by the look of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-56944032

There's a couple of links at the bottom of the article, about WW2 aircraft wrecks found in the last year or two. I'll save you the scroll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-52837526

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48857521

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: " Tank" dug up in Lincolnshire.

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you Paul :thumbsup:
Initially wondered how come these amphibians had sunk, then I read that they were easily damaged.

Thanks for the sunken aircraft links too. ;)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Paul, great find especially of the aircraft that have been located. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Thanks Paul, fascinating articles. I've got a real passion for military (and especially aviation) archaeology. Just wish I could re-train and do it as a career... 8)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Swanoir wrote:
01 May 2021, 19:59
Thanks Paul, fascinating articles. I've got a real passion for military (and especially aviation) archaeology. Just wish I could re-train and do it as a career... 8)
Oh yes, that would be a dream job, wouldn't it. Any particular time period or part of the world that interests you most ?

The BBC article headline seems to be evolving. Presumably they have been told in no uncertain terms that it isn't a tank. :lol:

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

[/quote]

Oh yes, that would be a dream job, wouldn't it. Any particular time period or part of the world that interests you most ?

[/quote]

I do have an interest in the First World War. I visited Ypres a couple of years ago and explored the surrounding area and found it absolutely fascinating. It was quite overwhelming and a little emotional to stand in now peaceful fields which a hundred years ago were hell on earth. Even now there's still lots of 'iron harvest' artifacts that end up at the side of the fields when the farmers plough. I found a lot of shrapnel and the end of a metal spike that would have been used to hold up barbed wire. And of course visiting the many cemeteries was very moving, especially Tyne cot, where the sheer expanse of white headstones makes it difficult to comprehend the scale of lives lost.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

A colleague that I worked with had a degree in the First World War and went over to France on occasions to visit battle sites and was always welcomed by the French and the farmers gave him complete access to their land.

One question I asked stumped him and that was if Hitler had not survived the First World War then I wonder how things would have panned out here and abroad? :dunno:

Something to think about.

Regards
Nigel.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Very true Nigel. I was fascinated to learn that both Hitler and Churchill fought at Ypres, albeit at separate points in the war. Strange to contemplate how history would have been shaped if things had gone differently for either of them.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

From my last question regarding if Hitler either died during WW1 or if he had not come to power in Germany the future looked kind of bleak and could have been even worse!!

Picked this up and there are plenty of other thoughts throughout the internet.

Read Tom Mullers' article and click on continue reading

https://www.quora.com/Would-there-have- ... out-Hitler

Food for thought! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

If I were a military archaeologist, WW1 and the battle for Berlin from the start of 1945 would be my European areas of interest. However, I'd love to have the money and the technology to search the hills and jungles of New Guinea for the many aircraft that are still missing there. Maybe some sort of airborne metal detector and satellite positioning system so we could locate them, then land by helicopter to investigate. During my travels, I saw some old Japanese aircraft engines lying on a beach, and I did suggest taking one back to the ship and stripping it down, but everyone else just wanted to swim and drink beer. :lol: